What's new

N5550 rebuild issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gquiring

Occasional Visitor
I'm looking for some input on the N5550 running RAID 5. I own 3 of these NAS units. I have been having nothing but bad experiences rebuilding an array when a drive fails. In the past year I lost some drives (Seagate 3TB which we know have a bad track record). My current drive that failed was a Samsung 2TB, these are very reliable drives but this group is 4 years old, so it failed, no big deal but once again the rebuild created a corrupt file system.

I don't understand why replacing a drive causes me to always get a file system error after the rebuild and then when I run the file system check from the GUI, it fixes the issues and nukes most of the data. Rebuilding an array should not always create a file system corruption. In one case I found all the files in the lost+found directory but most of them were corrupt.

The firmware on my NAS units is at 2.05.08. I'm getting to the point where I don't feel I trust the N5550. I had an older NAS from TheCus (N4100) which was flawless, rebuild always worked. To date not one rebuild on my N5550's has worked correctly. Also all my N5550's are on a UPS.

Good luck....
I have a N5550 too, I just don't the software - I think the hardware is rock solid though.
I started paying for some space on Google Drive recently in order to backup my stuff (just in case), I am getting a new QNAP soon - I'll be able to relax then an cancel my Google subsrciption.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!