What's new

N5550 with EXT4 file system question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xanbo

Occasional Visitor
I understand EXT4 has a maximum recommended volume size of 16TB, after which it is not considered to be stable. I have 5 drives of 4TB capacity in a RAID 6 array in my N5550, so that is a total of 20TB but only 16TB accessible for storage due to double parity. Am I correct in my interpretation that my array therefore has a volume size of 12TB (rather than 20TB) and is therefore EXT4 is a viable option? Thanks in advance for any feedback!

I understand EXT4 has a maximum recommended volume size of 16TB, after which it is not considered to be stable. I have 5 drives of 4TB capacity in a RAID 6 array in my N5550, so that is a total of 20TB but only 16TB accessible for storage due to double parity. Am I correct in my interpretation that my array therefore has a volume size of 12TB (rather than 20TB) and is therefore EXT4 is a viable option? Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Elsewhere here it was said that EXT4 has a 16TB file size limit, but the file system can be mega-huge.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!