What's new

N56 or N66 for personal care home

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dawson46

Occasional Visitor
My father is in a small personal care home (less than 45 people). The building is 3 floors (basement, 1 and 2) and less than 120 feet long by 60 wide. Its standard hotel construction.

They currently have a Netgear 3500 located in the office located in the center of the first floor. Comcast service is extreme 50. There are only 6 devices on the network - an office PC, Verizon network extender (tower issues not building construction) and my fathers devices (Ooma, Samsung Skype TV, Blue-ray player, and Google TV). Occasionally, there is a smart phone attached.

My fathers room is at the end of the second floor. Because the wireless is so bad (InSSIDer says -95 dbm), I temporarily set him up with powerline adapters but the link connection is pretty bad (3mb) due to the business grade electrical system.

My ultimate goal is an N66/AC66 on the second floor as an AP with possibly another one in his room as a bridge. As other residents are looking at this, I would expect more to use this.

Was thinking of starting off with the N56 in the office for aesthetics and the 66 heat issue since its on a paper cluttered desk. Any Suggestions?

Hello,

I would suggest the N66u since you are using a network extender which would mean that you would have to disable NAT on the N56u.

The N66u has better range for wireless, potentially eliminating the need for another AP. If you are worried about clutter, you can wall mount the N66u with a couple of screws.

Thanks Jeremy, wish there was some kind of wall mounting bracket for the N66/AC66 that would position the unit 3-5 inches away from the wall for better air flow.

Wasn't even thinking about the Verizon wireless 3g network extender being an issue. On other routers it was just opening VPN ports.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!