What's new

NAS CPU requirements as my last criteria....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jarery

New Around Here
I require assistance in determining which CPU I would need for a NAS.

I only perceive having to have the following going on at one time:
-downloading with nzbget, and transmission or onboard bt app (25MB line)
-stream HD video to one source
-read/write files through normal web surfing, hard drive sorting, etc. by two people.
-run itunes server and twonky media server (although only using one server at a time)

Now I have to decide between CPU of the ones available locally
1) TS-219P+ using Marvell 1.6
2) TS-239 Pro II Atom single core
3) TS-259 Pro Atom Dual core

Would the 219P+ with Marvel stutter and buffer when viewing a movie while its downloading at a high rate? Do I need to go to Atom, and if so do i need dual core or is single core atom more than sufficient for my requirements?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And if interested in my methodology to narrowing it down to the QNAP series its below.

Besides the normal file serving, storage, time machine use, I have 3 primary requirements:

1) Dual giganet ports. My network has two separate subnets (my main dsl modem router is one subnet and a second router with dd-wrt running openvpn creating a second subnet) So wish a NAS that can serve files to both.

2) ESata ports for backup, expansion.

3) Ease of use of installing software. My current dns-323 takes hours of searching online forums and tutorials to install items such as transmission, nzbget, etc. Im looking for an easier time of installing packages on my upgrade. Im too old to learn Linux :)

Currently I have a DNS-323. I can download files through transmission or nzbget or stream HD video to my boxee or other device, but I cant do both at same time, so its upgrade time.

With my above criteria I believe only QNAP devices have the dual ports, with esata, and easy software installation.

Synology appears to not have dual giganet ports while netgear has no esata and not as user friendly software. Am I correct in that thinking or should I be looking at something other than QNAP?

Last edited:
Anything you get is going to be a huge improvement over the D-Link.

Atom-based NASes are going to perform better than Marvell.

That said, simultaneous operations on a NAS that cause a lot of head seeking could cause hiccups in your HD stream. All depends on how deep the buffer is on your player.

Thanks for the reply.

I pretty much knew anything was going to be an upgrade. What im afraid of is spending $700 or so once drives are included and getting the marvel based nas, and finding it still still stutters when watching a movie while downloading.

I watch through two different devices. A boxee box, or a jailbroke apple tv 2 playing xbmc.

I really don't want to spend the extra $400 for dual core atom based when the marvel would already be overkill. So i wonder if anyone with the marvel based units max out their CPU and get stuttering? And if so what all are they trying to do with it.

It's not a CPU issue. If all you are doing is streaming one HD file, then, you should be ok. Once you start doing multiple things that move the head around a lot, then if your player doesn't have good (or any) buffering, then you're going to have playback problems.

Thanks

I guess it was just prices creeping up that was starting to make me rethink priorities.

Looking at my original priorities, The dual nics is most important. The esata is least. If i forgo esata as backup, and just use rsynch to backup to my old dns-323, the netgear readynas RNDP200U series is a dual core atom for only $120 bucks more ($474) than the QNAP 219P+ ($357). The similar equiped QNAP is $665. These are local Canadian prices.

Is the Netgear just as capable with add on packages, working in a mac environment, time machine backup, etc? In a nutshell id like to know is there anything im giving up by goign netgear instead of qnap?

I rank QNAP, Synology and NETGEAR as about equal in features.