What's new

NAS - drive sleep/spindown or not?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Spin-down/sleep for 6 hours a day. That's what made sense to me, rather than frequent start/stop.

I wish the consumer/SOHO NASes sleepy-time scheduler would postpone the shutdown if a backup is in process.

'Twould be nice. I've toyed with it under windows, but I tend to prefer to leave any kind of sleep delay off. I have had it where windows is fusy and doesn't want to idle to sleep because it says background tasks are running, when realistically they aren't. I just schedule my back-ups appropriately so that they would be finished long before any kind of sleep (scheduled for 12:15am, and I think the longest back-up I have seen took about 6 minutes shoving around 80GBs of data to the server. Sleep is scheduled for 12:45am. Wake-up at 6:45am. Daily Defender auto-updates at 12:30am. Manual "other" windows updates. Auto-reboot every Monday at 6:46am...because windows).

yes, I have my NAS scheduled to do backups starting at 11PM. It's done well before the 1AM shutdown.