What's new

NAS OS with built in backup capabilities

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

no_jah

New Around Here
Hi,

Anyone know if there are any NAS OS that have built in backup in the web interface the same way that for example the Netgear ReadyNAS have, so I can back up files on my home computers without having to install backup software on each computer.

Thanks!

Are you asking more than this...
Synology, QNAP others all provide admin access to all the NAS features via a web browser. For Synology (others too?) You have several backup methods. I use more than one.
  • Time Backup with file versioning
  • Backup selected folders to a second internal volume / drive or an external USB3/eSata drive(s)
  • Backup to Amazon S3 or other
  • Rsync backup
  • Backup VIP folders to SD card or USB flash drive.
and more.

Maybe I was a bit unclear...

What I'm asking is if there are any open source Nas OSes that have this feature?
I currently run OpenMediaVault and it, and by installing a couple of plugins I can use it to connect mount remote shares and then then make backups from the mounted share, but it's a bit awkward and somewhat unstable.

So, what other options are there that I can install on my NAS computer?

Maybe I was a bit unclear...

What I'm asking is if there are any open source Nas OSes that have this feature?
I currently run OpenMediaVault and it, and by installing a couple of plugins I can use it to connect mount remote shares and then then make backups from the mounted share, but it's a bit awkward and somewhat unstable.

So, what other options are there that I can install on my NAS computer?

FreeNAS has Rsync that can be used to backup. See section 6.3 of the FreeNAS documentation for further information (http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_tasks.html#rsync-tasks).