What's new

NAS requirements - encrypted offsite replication

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nox

Occasional Visitor
OK, had a few beers and was talking about the drobo transporter thing, with a mate and we decided it would be a great idea to each get one and split the access with them backing up to each other. We haven't yet, mostly as quite frankly, Drobo's scare me a bit, or rather any data recovery from one. When my dual bay Synology died, getting it off the SHR volume was more painful than it should of been and I immediately headed back to Windows-world!

So back to today - i'm looking for an alternative, and a pair of with they must be able to do the following:

VPN tunnel between the two
Encrypted replication, or backups, each backing up to each other.
As an admin of one, I can access my friends partition stored on my device (and vice versa)
If i install a mail server on the one at my end, it needs to back up to the remote one too

I can find lots of info about backing up a NAS to another but not sure if that kinda just overwrites the whole 'backup' NAS, and info about the admin of the NAS not being able to access it is just not out there :(

Only need a single or maybe dual bay device.

Nox

Last edited:
Across-the-Internet backups are s-l-o-w due to typical upstream speeds from your ISP.
CrashPlan has a free peer to peer backup capability and it probably uses SSL for transport. Storage encryption - you need to encrypt before submitting for transport. Unless you can truly trust the far end to encrypt for storage in a trustworthy manner. Commercial storage services (in the US and elsewhere) have to encrypt and keep a copy of the storage keys so as to answer a court order. If YOU encrypt prior to transmission, you are safer, IMO.

RAID is not a backup. On my Synology 2 bay, I do not use SHR or RAID but rather each drive is a separate volume and file system, with drive 2 being a time machine type rolling 6 month backup of drive 1's VIP folders. I don't backup the backup files (drive images) from PCs. That save a lot of space. I also have automated backup to a USB3 drive.

the amount of data that would change on a day to day basis would be minimal, but i'd run in upload speed problems with either crash plan or my other consideration... or not, if it was fast enough. the initial sync could also be done locally.

I decided two single bay NAS devices was a better option that a single dual bay too - then if one box dies for some reason, I still have the other.

so encryption before submitting for storage - can this be done on any NAS?

Nox