What's new

NAS, Sonos, Macbook, backups... I just want something that works.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Phil Sterne

New Around Here
I'm new to this forum .....
this is my set up:

Play 1 (x2), Play 3, Connect
Macbook pro with itunes library stored on external HDD
Seagate Central NAS, with a copy of itunes library (note, this is not synched)
1TB of MS Onedrive storage, currently where my photos upload to from my phone and my docs sit for cloud storage.
Apple TV (gen2)
Wifi set up with a few wired cat5 connections dotted around - inc to the TV.

My NAS is basically not very good. I have failed to get it to work as a time machine, or even to be (consistently) found by my macbook Finder. What I really want is a set up to:

store/stream music (that can be accessed by SONOS, and my macbook for management and iphone for downloading playlists)
store ripped DVD's/other electronic films for streaming to my tv (via either ethernet cable wifi - I have both) - Plex or similar?
store and organise photos (and preferably collect them automatically from my phone when on the same network)
act as a time machine for back ups
be accessible over the web - ie as a personal cloud.

I was lulled in by claims that the Seagate worked as a time machine and would be fine with my macbook. it's not. and the UI is awful.

Any thoughts on what I should replace with as many other products make the same claims - I just want to be able to do everything above. I am not precious about keeping my music in itunes or using the iphone music app. Neither am I precious about using the OneDrive storage- but this is free so if I can, I'd like to use it if only for backing up documents. I am open to streaming services like plex. I just dont know enough about it all to piece it all together effectively.

Any advice/help greatly appreciated.

QNAP or Synology. These are the real home/SOHO/SMB NAS experts. Drive makers like WD and Seagate make drives and don't do well at NAS.

My 2 bay Synology NAS has been problem-free for several years. Runs latest OS. I configured for non-RAID by careful decision.
Time Backup utiliity on Synology allows you to keep file versions in selected shares/folders going back many months or more. I use and rely on it. Has great GUI.
Mine also lets my iPAD use my older Epson printer that's uses ethernet, and does not have Airprint.