What's new

NAS suggestions for Media

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hotwired1981

New Around Here
Hello all....

With all the options there is on the market these days I have found myself reading and reading and reading... Seems to never end... My primary purpose for a NAS is to get rid of having to store so many dvds(allot of blue ray) and multiple disk/usb of photos short clips etc... I would like to be able to pull a movie or song from a centralized location to all computers,phones, tablets, etc... I am considering installing a security system and video surveillance in the near future and if I can incorporate the NAS with Camera's that would be good as well since it would save a little because not having to purchase a dvr for the cameras. I was looking into the Qnap TS-451 and the Synology DS415 play however if i can do what I want at a lower initial price tag that would be great. But I do not want to sacrifice on quality either (cant afford to buy another in a year or two lol). In advance I would like to thank the community.

All NASes will do basic file sharing and media serving.

Video surveillance depends on your IP cams and what you are looking for. If it's a few cameras that can write to a network share, then any NAS will do. If it's a lot of cameras and you want centralized monitoring, then you need to look for a NAS with video surveillance features that will support the IP cameras you have.

The most important thing to do is determine your storage requirements. You can get 6TB in a single drive now, although you'll pay almost $300 per drive. Two drives in RAID 1 should save you some money over RAID 5 approach. RAID 1 will be easier to recover should the NAS fail.

Remember RAID is not backup. So if the NAS is the only place your files reside, you will need to back it up. Make sure you put the NAS on a UPS.