Nas / xbmc not showing in my computer

Discussion in 'ASUS N Routers & Adapters' started by draz1k, Feb 26, 2013.

1. draz1k

draz1k New Around Here

Hi, i have been running my dark knight for a few months now but i have noticed that i cant access my qnap 459 or my asrock (running openelec) through windows explorer / network overview (i think it is something to do with smb / samba). If i type the ip address it takes me to the web interface not the shares.

I tried with my old netgear 3500 running tomato and all my shares show up.
    what should i be checking on the gui of the n66u to enable my pc to connect to other devices.

i have set static ip's for all my gear and do not having a problem with ftp-ing to any device

Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.270

2. Log in / Register to remove this ad

3. draz1k

draz1k New Around Here

i can access them if i type \\192.168.1.x and then map the network drive

but i have to do this every time i log on, the device is not named under network but just the ip address

4. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

That's a master browser issue. Turn off every network device/PC on your network. Turn the router back on first, then turn the PCs/devices on. Hopefully whoever wins the master browser election will be something that works correctly.

5. draz1k

draz1k New Around Here

Thanks for the idea mate, i tried that and didnt seem to fix it the error. any thing else i could try?

6. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

You could try flashing my firmware, and enabling the Master Browser option under USB Applications -> Misc settings, to force your router into becoming your master browser.

Also make sure everything in your workgroup (including the router - same page I just mentionned) is in the same workgroup. Having a mixture of MSHOME, WORKGROUP, COOLCAT can cause issues with name resolution.

7. draz1k

draz1k New Around Here

Bingo!!

installed your firmware, reset all my devices and boom everything is back to normal. thank you VERY much!