What's new

NAT loopback throughput limiting FTP transfers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kayson

Occasional Visitor
Background: I have an RT-AC68U with 380.69. I have an ftp server set up in passive mode, with the passive ip address response fixed to my public IP address. In order to use the ftp on my lan, I have to connect using the public ip insted of lan ip otherwise I get an error about TLS connection being not properly terminated. I'm assuming this has to do with the ftp server responding with the src address as my public ip once in passive mode. Not exactly sure.

Anyways. If I enable loopback, then I can connect just fine, and everything works great. However, the LAN throughput is very bad (40MBps on a gigabit connection). If I re-configure the server to use the local ip, so I don't have to use loopback, I get 100MBps+. I can see the router cpu at 100% during the ftp transfer, so I'm guessing the loopback is limiting throughput.

Is there a way to improve this performance? Alternatively, is there another way to set up my iptables/ftp server such that I can use passive mode from both LAN and WAN?

Thanks!

You don't provide any information about your FTP server, but if possible it would be better if it could be configured to listen/respond on the internal network as well as the external. This would avoid the NAT loopback issue completely.

For example, if your FTP server is running proftpd you could create a virtual host for the internal LAN.

You don't provide any information about your FTP server, but if possible it would be better if it could be configured to listen/respond on the internal network as well as the external. This would avoid the NAT loopback issue completely.

For example, if your FTP server is running proftpd you could create a virtual host for the internal LAN.
I'm using pure-ftpd on Ubuntu 17.10. I used proftpd to start but there was some other reason that made me switch over, though I can't really remember any more. From what I can tell in the documentation for pure-ftpd, there's no way to have a virtual host as in proftpd