What's new

Need a better automated backup solution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Razor512

Very Senior Member
Currently, I use windows backup for all of my systems, which simply backs up to a shared folder on the network (have an old PC that I use as a NAS + VPN (in a VM) + game server (in a VM))

The main issue with windows backup is that you have to eventually manually remove old backups because it refuses to delete old backups, even if you have 5 versions of the same tile.

In looking for something better, I would really like to find something that will allow me to have one system image, and backups that that will simply keep track of file changes, but automatically begin deleting old versions of files when the drive is around 90% full.

I uses these two

1. Centered Systems: Second Copy. On PC. Easy to setup what to backup to where and whether to keep last n versions. I use this for working folders and VIP stuff. Destination is my NAS.

2. Acronis True Image. $25 or so sale prices. Some hate it; some love it. I've used it for many years. It works and I've had it save my buns many times. Esp. the clone mode. Drive Images stored to NAS. Clone drive-to-drive for easy reboot on cloned drive to press on. Need discipline to automate the Drive Imaging and stick to it. Cloning is manual. I do it once a month. Twice I've gotten rotten virus and just boot the clone, update from Second Copy's saves and on with it. No Windows reinstall. I haven't tried the 2015 version, said to have simpler GUI.

I also use my NASes "Time Backup" (Synology). It copies the last N versions of selected folders on the NAS, going back many months. Has saved me many times when I hose up a file or delete the wrong thing.

Although Windows can allow you to backup system, in order to satisfy the high demand for backup, the built-in Windows tool is not enough.
I used this PC backup software to create image for my system and do schedule backup, which allow my important data can be backed up regularly. I have tried it and it works great.
besides, it can do differential backup or incremental backup, which only back up the changes data. maybe this is the software can help you

Verki-
Is that software ($50 home user - 2x price of on-sale Acronis) a rebranded version of the below? Striking similarity in names of products and that they both rely on Windows PE for a restore, rather than a bootable linux DVD to restore.

http://www.easeus.com/?ad&gclid=CPDG6JL-osMCFYZbfgodoogA-A

I tried easeus and found it to be very undesirable. And their support from Asia is language-impaired to say the least, for an English speaker as I am.

Windows backup can help to do system backup, but it seems cannot help delete old backups which can take up your disk space. The above answers referred some software, those are very good. i want to add one point, also aomei backupper, a professional software, also is useful. you can use it create system backup, support backup to nas. During backup system, set an automatic backup, and automatically delete old backup images for backup disk space management. But it seems its free edition cannot support delete old backups, but its professional, server edition and technician edition can do this task. Once i used it, very good. Recommend to you.

Windows backup can help to do system backup, but it seems cannot help delete old backups which can take up your disk space. The above answers referred some software, those are very good. i want to add one point, also aomei backupper, a professional software, also is useful. you can use it create system backup, support backup to nas. During backup system, set an automatic backup, and automatically delete old backup images for backup disk space management. But it seems its free edition cannot support delete old backups, but its professional, server edition and technician edition can do this task. Once i used it, very good. Recommend to you.
Isn't the Windows backup rather hard to restore?

I'll stick with Acronis True Image. It's served me well for years, for backups, cloning, and repartitioning. And it can be had for $20 or so on sale.

I also use Acronis for full bare metal backups on a regular basis. I hate its user interface for backups and the recovery is always something I can never remember how to do and it gets confusing. But the backups are reliable and it also has saved me in the past. I will always use it. In its defense, other interfaces appear worse and Macrium free failed me several times on a disk transfer when I bought some ssd drives. I've never found Windows Backup flexible enough to be realistically functional.

Windows has a 'previous versions' feature. It can be helpful for backups as a previous version is automatically saved when the main file changes. On Win 8 you can set the previous versions directory to another drive. On Win 7 it creates massive clutter if turned on, but it provides a lot of safety.

For the record, there's no such thing as a perfect back up strategy. Just figure out what you need and stratify it. Then figure out how to save the base and save the things that change frequently AND are problematic if you lose them. Don't sweat the pdfs or whatever you download on the spur of the moment and probably forget about soon after.

Last edited:
I have Acronis 2014 setup so it's simple. It is indeed hard to make it simple because it is too many features.

It looks like the 2015 version has finally provided a simplified UI.
I've yet to try it.

Recent Windows server products do very well with this. There's a client piece that runs on each PC. Nightly backups that you can restore as a full image or just individual files. I've used this for customers networks. Versions include:

Windows Home Server 2011
Windows Server 2011 Essentials
Windows Server 2012 Essentials
Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials

You can also install the 2012 Essentials role on the bigger Server 2012 products.

Recent Windows server products do very well with this. There's a client piece that runs on each PC. Nightly backups that you can restore as a full image or just individual files. I've used this for customers networks. Versions include:

Windows Home Server 2011
Windows Server 2011 Essentials
Windows Server 2012 Essentials
Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials

You can also install the 2012 Essentials role on the bigger Server 2012 products.
Windows Home Server - goner.
Windows Server - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

in the context of home systems

Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 OEM - 64-bit (10 CALs) [Old Version] is still for sale for $149. Saw a copy on eBay for just a license key for $49. It's too bad they don't offer it any more. It was only $49 when it was a current product. The old copies floating around are bringing a premium.

Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials OEM is currently selling for $349 on Amazon.

Windows Server 2012 Essentials is fairly low cost and comes with multiple client access licenses, more than enough for a home network and a small business. The cost is only a couple of hundred bucks.

It's free if you can join Microsoft DreamSpark ... meaning you are in school and plan to use it for educational purposes only. That's how I got access to my copies. I learned what I needed and now I fire them up as virtual systems to apply updates or look up something I need to figure out how to do. Otherwise they pretty much just sit there taking up space on a spare partition.

The downside is it's a full Active Server oriented 24/7 on-line server that's exactly the same as the full Windows server 2012 except for a couple of lesser used features. It takes a lot of education and skill to learn how to use it. Active directory is on by default with the Essentials version. Then you need a 24/7 up time server. To join a domain, you need Windows pro or higher clients. There is a seemingly complicated way to get non-windows devices into the domain. I never learned it because it seemed too complicated for too few benefits.

It makes an absolutely terrible substitute desktop O/S. Some programs do and don't run on it. It's hard to find a print driver for inexpensive printers that can interact with it, unless that's changed in the past year. Boot times are in the minutes on a good day. User profile maintenance is really on the next level.

Synology, Qnap and other NAS boxes are far superior for most home server needs.

Last edited:
Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials is $349. The difference is not just the missing features but the Dashboard and it's wizards. Essentials is not that difficult to set up and maintain because of the Dashboard and all the wizards. I know the standard version is much more complicated and more expensive.

I don't get your arguments that it has to be on 24/7 and it's not a good desktop OS, at least as it relates to the OP's question. He has a decent server with multiple VMs running in it. I'd say he's not concerned about either of those issues.

You do need the Professional version of Windows to work properly with Server 2012 Essentials, but not for Windows Home Server 2011. It appears that the OP has Professional since he's using Windows backup to backup to a shared folder, something the home edition can't do.

The best automated backup system(s) in my opinion are:

Time Machine (only for Mac)
Windows Server products I listed above

Windows 8 and 8.1 also have an automated backup feature that is very similar to TM for the macs; it is called File History in the Action Center.

In my limited exposure to the apple eco system, the FH in Windows is superior in the sense that it has simply worked, period. Can't say the same for TM on a few of my customers which depended on that feature and found out the hard way it wasn't working at all for weeks or months.

Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials is $349. The difference is not just the missing features but the Dashboard and it's wizards. Essentials is not that difficult to set up and maintain because of the Dashboard and all the wizards. I know the standard version is much more complicated and more expensive.

I don't get your arguments that it has to be on 24/7 and it's not a good desktop OS, at least as it relates to the OP's question. He has a decent server with multiple VMs running in it. I'd say he's not concerned about either of those issues.

You do need the Professional version of Windows to work properly with Server 2012 Essentials, but not for Windows Home Server 2011. It appears that the OP has Professional since he's using Windows backup to backup to a shared folder, something the home edition can't do.

The best automated backup system(s) in my opinion are:

Time Machine (only for Mac)
Windows Server products I listed above

Initially, I loaded Windows Server 2012 Essentials as a desktop OS on an i5 laptop with 8gb ram, thinking it would be the coolest desktop OS ever. This is how I came to the realization it is a terrible desktop OS. Win 7 is back on it now. I didn't even mention how difficult it is to load it on a modern PC which has the acceptable Microsoft OSs somewhere in the bios. I had to embed the serial number in a file on the Essentials image so it read it while loading. Otherwise, my newish HP laptop said 'Sorry, this OS is not suitable for this machine' or words to that effect. It took hours to figure out how to just run the install program successfully because of this. Older pcs and virtual pcs do not suffer this issue.

What's the point of having a server if it does not run 24/7. Why install a server in the first place? Especially if it's a terrible desktop substitute, for reasons slightly detailed above. (Educational reasons not included.) My Win 7 HP i5 laptop with an ssd boots almost instantly. A Windows server boots in several minutes (7200 rpm normal drive) because a lot of processes not on a desktop os need to start at boot time. I never did sort through how to put a desktop equivalent normal user profile on the server machine. Windows server likes people with elevated permissions only to have access to it. If I worked with Win server all day in my job, I would probably have sailed right through it. To me it's only a hobby so I really don't care much about sorting through user profiles and permissions except as an educational challenge. How's group policy working out for you on the home network?

Correct about needing windows pro to join a domain. This is not a concern with a high powered NAS box.

I think of the Essentials dashboard as a very limited tool. Actually, I loaded Classic Shell on all my images to make it more user friendly for all functions not considered server related and some that are.

I think Windows Server is an amazing business support tool. It's the best of the best. It's just a poor desktop OS. If someone feels the need for a home 24/7 Windows server, run it as a virtual OS on a high powered PC that has a lot of ram, and bridge it on the home network. Win 8 pro supports Hyper-V as a type 1 feature. Virtualbox also works fine.

Last edited:
I get that a server needs to be on 24/7. What I don't get is why you were complaining that it had to be on 24/7. As you said, it's a server. And, it's not a desktop. Ever try running Internet Explorer on your Windows Server? You can't do anything with it as all external sites are blocked by default. That's a good thing. It's a server. It's supposed to sit there and only do a few things like sharing files, backing up, running server apps, etc. Complaining that Windows Server is a lousy desktop OS is like complaining that an 18 wheeler is not a good vehicle to take the kids to school. Although you'd make quite a scene dropping them off at carpool! :D

I get that a server needs to be on 24/7. What I don't get is why you were complaining that it had to be on 24/7. As you said, it's a server. And, it's not a desktop. Ever try running Internet Explorer on your Windows Server? You can't do anything with it as all external sites are blocked by default. That's a good thing. It's a server. It's supposed to sit there and only do a few things like sharing files, backing up, running server apps, etc. Complaining that Windows Server is a lousy desktop OS is like complaining that an 18 wheeler is not a good vehicle to take the kids to school. Although you'd make quite a scene dropping them off at carpool! :D

My QNAP TS120 uses about 4 watts, costing me a couple of dollars a year. It is always on. It performs a lot of service without any significant complications. A windows server requires a massive amount of education and experience just to feel comfortable doing basic tasks, not to mention an expensive and powerful computer just to run it. If you use these skills professionally, it makes sense to make the effort. I don't and have forgotten many basic tasks, although I could re-learn them quickly if needed. My TS-120 with a hard drive costs about the same as Windows Server 2012 Essentials from Amazon.

To use the backup features, you still need to load it somewhere. Essentials has Active Directory installed by default. This adds complication to the project. It has to be on 24/7 as a basic or virtual system to be of use, as it seems limited to boot it just for doing the backup. There are cheaper alternatives available for that scenario. Yes, I've deactivated the IE security features to use it as a browser. For business use, it is good to lock down. For home use it becomes a limitation.

You can uninstall Active Directory, certificate services, and the other roles and features and turn it back into a basic server that does not host a domain, just like Windows Server Standard out of the box, but why bother just to make it easier to set up as a file server for all the flotsam on the home network?

Basically, using a NAS box, I can get where I need to go with minimal effort and expense. Windows Server, with respect to use on on a home network, requires me to mount an elaborate complicated expedition just to get to the same place.

Last edited:
I agree about using a small/simple NAS instead of having to be a Microsoft IT guru with Win server.

Synology (and QNAP?) have an equivalent or better to Apple's Time Machine. On Synology it's called Time Backup (a misnomer). You tell it which folders on the NAS or LAN to time-backup and how often, and how far back in time to keep files. It then quietly keeps revisions of all selected files/folders.

A lot of Synology users overlook that Time backup exists. It has saved my buns many times where files are hosed up or deleted due to my mistakes in editing/managing my own work in process.