What's new

Need a new router that works better with NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrex

Occasional Visitor
Hi! I have been reading and reading, and the more i read the more confused i become.

This is my current setup (all is done in cisco epc3825 cable modem/wifi). But it sucks.. Reboots from time to time (atleast once a day) and NAS works quite slow in wifi.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443367061.189913.jpg

I suppose i will get a better performance with a new router (that is not only capable using ac / 5ghz band but also have someking of mimo functionality). So what im trying to do it is that i change the cable modem to the bridge mode and attach the router between devices like this way:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443367225.216114.jpg

I also have xbox, android phones / tablet and iphone 6s+ (not yet). And i also need to attach the Philips Hue brigde to the router to control lights via wifi from tablets/phones.

So, the current setup/modem doesnt offer 5ghz band and it seems to be that it cannot handle many devices at once. Slow and rebooting. Also NAS is quite slow in that setup and i always have to attach an ethernet cable to my win laptop to get the NAS work faster. Other devices use it via wlan.

So basicly... I would like to get homework running stable and faster especially what comes to the NAS. And i should also be able to access to the NAS from internet (using wd my cloud software).

I have been even thinking about tri-band routers such as asus ac3200, tplink c3200, dual bands like asus ac87u, tplink archer c9... But im not sure will i get any benefits to buy a router that have mumimo and ac3200 for 300euros. That is alot of money though. Ac87u is about 200 euros. So is it dual band routers enough for my usage with these devices or do i benefit of buying triband/mumimo router? And which one?

I dont know much about network stuff, and it is abit confusing to read about them and see that "the router has this and that features, but it isnt enabled or you need a device that supports it etc." There are so many nice marketing claims and then lots of tiny texts bottom of the page indicating that the feature isnt really working than in a theory...

Cisco epc3825 cable modem / router (internet 100/10)
Western Digital My Cloud DL2100 (nas)
Macbook pro retina 13" (2014, getting second one when skylake comes)
Windows laptop (U500v)
2x ipad air2
Note 10.1
Nexus5 / oneplus one / iphone 6s+ (coming)
Minix Neo x8h (android tvbox, 100/10, wifi)
Xbox
Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If i would buy a Router right now i buy the Linksys EA8500 Max-Stream then you have a router for years ahead, but i cost. Or i will wait for the Synology RT1900AC as Synology makes NAS if you know, this Router is build to go with NAS.

You should connect your NAS via gigabit ethernet at least. that will help performance a lot. Dont expect good performance out of wifi no matter what bandwidth it says on the cover. Even if there was 5Gb/s of wifi gigabit ethernet will still outperform it by being consistent and delivering 99% of the capacity at all times. The only way you'll get 90% of the rated wifi bandwidth is with lots of packet drops and stressing the router to it's limit.

Thanks for your suggestion...

After reading more, i found this article http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basi...to-buy-a-wireless-router-2015-edition?start=3 saying that there isnt much benefits to buy router above ac1900.

So... After all? Will Asus RT-AC68U AC1900 be enough in my usage? Or TP-Link Archer C9 AC1900?

I agree that wireless-1900AC is the current place to be to get the best price/performance available now. I personally have given up trying to buy for the future...since you never know exactly where the future will go until it's actually here. You can take a guess, but I've found that even with a lot of research I usually guess wrong *smile*.

The Asus RT-AC68U is a great wireless router, especially with RMerlin firmware, as long as you don't anticipate needing USB 3.0 speeds. Since you have a nas at this point (a smart move, I think), you don't need USB 3.0. So I would go in that direction, myself.

Good luck, and have fun!

My NAS connects to an 8 port gigE switch. Also on that switch is my main desktop PC which creates most of the NAS traffic.
So the router is not involved - matters little in terms of the NAS.

Wireless WiFi clients of the router tend to be handhelds, whereas it's prudent to have immobile clients (desktops, TV, cameras) on cat5.

I'm in the camp that says: Don't over-buy on a WiFi router. Under $100 is where I stay, as the handhelds (android phone+tablet, iPhone, iPad) don't even use up the 11n speeds. Rarely would there be 2+ concurrent high WiFi bandwidth demands in this house.

Is the Cable Modem a rental or do you own it?

If it's a rental, might consider asking the provider for a dedicated modem - the Moto/Arris SB6141 is a well regarded Cable Modem.

Combine that with a decent AC1900 class Router/AP - my recommendation would be the Linksys WRT1900ac, but the Asus RT-68U and Netgear R7000 lines are decent enough - as is Apple's Airport Extreme AC - but if you're looking for large coverage footprint, the WRT1900ac totally rocks the socks...

(BTW - nice graphics, what did you use to create them?)

Is the Cable Modem a rental or do you own it?

If it's a rental, might consider asking the provider for a dedicated modem - the Moto/Arris SB6141 is a well regarded Cable Modem.

Combine that with a decent AC1900 class Router/AP - my recommendation would be the Linksys WRT1900ac, but the Asus RT-68U and Netgear R7000 lines are decent enough - as is Apple's Airport Extreme AC - but if you're looking for large coverage footprint, the WRT1900ac totally rocks the socks...

(BTW - nice graphics, what did you use to create them?)

Better yet, if the cable modem is a rental, and he's not using VoIP, buy a Moto/Arris SB6141 and return their cable modem, saving $5-10 per month.

I've managed to avoid four fees: my cable modem (own it), cable box (I own a Tivo, and one CableCARD is free), HD fee on top of cable box (Tivo does it), and DVR (Tivo does it). I'm okay with paying a provider --just not getting gouged for it.

Hah, yeah.. Paper app (ios), it is a great app and works well with their own pen, Pencil 53 (http://www.fiftythree.com/) I thought a pic tells better than me trying to write it in english :D

The modem is a rental, but there is no fee.. Monthly payment doesnt change if i buy my own or not, so the modem has a monthly payment (9 euros) but it is discounted on next line (-9 euros) :) I dont know how easy it is to find a new cable modem here in europe. I only know that it has to have a "eurodocsis 3.0" standard and something else... Need to check that from isp webpage. i was thinking that it is easier just to buy a router than a new modem without knowing how (or nor) it is working with the isp.

Thanks, i check later this post again and your suggestions, have to leave to work right now...

Better yet, if the cable modem is a rental, and he's not using VoIP, buy a Moto/Arris SB6141 and return their cable modem, saving $5-10 per month.

I've managed to avoid four fees: my cable modem (own it), cable box (I own a Tivo, and one CableCARD is free), HD fee on top of cable box (Tivo does it), and DVR (Tivo does it). I'm okay with paying a provider --just not getting gouged for it.
I'd LOVE to switch to a TiVo box. Two concerns:
a) TiVo has been teetering on bankruptcy for a long time. Now they're scarce on retail store shelves.
b) Much of what we watch are channels that are delivered via Switched Digital Video (SDV) services on my CableCo system (TWC). SDV requires an outboard add-on box. I've read that SDV for TiVo is frequently not reliable. Cablecard OK, but SDV not so. This is likely a regional issue.

So i finally made my decision and ordered ac87u =) hopefully the fw is already stable enough...

Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!