What's new

Need a New Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ZeVo

New Around Here
Hey guys.

I haven't bought a new router in seven years, so I think it is about time for a new one.

The devices I have are:

Two computers on the second floor

One laptop on the first floor

One computer in the basement

So I'm guessing I will need a 2.4 GHz for longer range?

Does my Internet plan also have an affect on my speed?

All I know is that I have the Performance plan from Comcast. I have no idea how fast it is supposed to be.

Thanks, and so sorry for the nooby questions. I do not understand a single thing about networking.

Sounds like you got a large house. I recommend an Amped Wireless R20000G.

I have the R10000 and the coverage is awesome. I got mine for under 90USD at microcenter...

I can stream youtube vids very easily at more then 150 feet away (HD) and SD vids I can play from 215 feet away! and this is outside thru 5 walls!

It's even got QoS settings to make sure you get the B/W you need from the right devices.... so those have higher priority over other people's stuff like smartphones, tablets, etc and your gaming machine or streaming machine gets more B/W then secondary devices in the house. It's very nice. I use it to give extra juice to the xbox and my server.

I have a router located on the upstairs loft. Main floor family room has a home theater with WiFi video real time streaming. In the basement two desk tops one for recording studio, one for book keeping. Even outside patio, sun room I can use laptop. Antenna orientation, moving router few inches any direction makes difference. Needed patient experiment to get right everything. Router is RT-AC66U with TX power set at 70mW on both radios. In the family room down load speed is equal between cable and WiFi which is 50mbps from shaw.ca, our local ISP. I know best sweet spot for the router and antenna sticks orientation

Last edited:
What is your current router and why do you want to upgrade?

OP said
I haven't bought a new router in seven years,
So it's probably '11g only.

He could probably do with a $75 or less 802.11n WiFi router - - IF any of his user devices support 11n. They've probably been using 11g.

Heh, totally forgot about this guys.

Yes, I do have a pretty big house. My current router is the WPN824v2. I cannot play any game without my ping spiking up to 300 and I know this is the modems fault as it is just way too old.

Which n router would you recommend?

Big house, multi-floor home, you need 1+ Access Points. If for no other reason that to better support the client device to-WiFi access RF direction.

Heh, totally forgot about this guys.

Yes, I do have a pretty big house. My current router is the WPN824v2. I cannot play any game without my ping spiking up to 300 and I know this is the modems fault as it is just way too old.

Which n router would you recommend?

For WiFi only ESR600H
For Wired performance ER6120

That model you have now I had one a long time ago you need to replace that as soon as you can!

I use the ER6120 as the main DHCP Router and the ESR600H as the main and only Wireless Access Point with the a Non-DHCP disabled. This is the way to go if WiFi hardware fails you can alway replace it. This is how I run things here! You might want to go for the all-in-one method both Wired and WiFi management again.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!