Need a new router

Discussion in 'Wireless Buying Advice' started by dragasoni, Jan 1, 2013.

1. dragasoni

dragasoni New Around Here

My old Linksys WRT160N running DD-WRT is beginning to fail after over 6 years of use. The N radio no longer works and the G radio is running in a degraded state. YouTube videos take forever to buffer in HD and Netflix won't play anything in HD. But I'm able to browse the web without any problems.

I picked up a WD My Net N750 the other day, but the range on it is worse than my old Linksys, so I'm going to take it back. The range on the 5 GHz band is even worse, but still I expected the 2.4 GHz band to be at least equal to my old Linksys; it isn't.

My house is small, only 1200 sq ft with 2 floors. I have 2 laptops, 2 iPhone's, 1 iPad, 1 iPod touch, 1 printer, 1 Wii, and 1 Sony Media Streamer, so a total of 9 devices on the WiFi.

I'm open to pretty much every brand. This Linksys WRT160N is my third Linksys device, so I decided to try another brand. But like I said, I really don't care what brand I get as long as it works well with good range.

DD-WRT is nice, but it's not a must for me.

Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated :)

2. Log in / Register to remove this ad

3. stevech

stevech Part of the Furniture

read the reviews on this web site?

4. SunTzu

SunTzu Occasional Visitor

For now the best one Asus RT-N16... Dlink 605l is best deal for that price.

If you got more money you can buy Netgear R6300, in my country it was 30$ cheaper than any other AE router.

RT-N16 and R6300 are compatible with alternative Firmware.

Im sure he did, and he is confuse about that and don't forget he asked about DD-WRT

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  5. dragasoni

dragasoni New Around Here

Yes, but I was looking for real world experiences from different users in the forum. My experience with the WD My Net N750 hasn't been all that good, so I thought that maybe someone knew of one that was better.

6. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture