What's new

Need a switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hap

New Around Here
Would like to add a smart/web switch to the home setup, removing all the wireless devices- my choice, Thinking the ZyXEL GS108B Switch could work, it has some nice features. This would also help with the new security camera system to interface with the Internet, I only needed a few extra ports, this would interface with a CISCO Security Router in place. Don't know much about the ZyXEL product but have heard good results- any thoughts- many thanks, or maybe I should only buy the Managed switch
Hap

Last edited:
Just in case for future needs and the cost for both types are not that far apart, switches have become cheaper and smarter. One thing I did forget should support RTSP

Last edited:
I thought RTSP was at the application layer, not Layer 2 like a smart switch, or Layer 3 like a routing switch. Meaning I thought all switches could pass RTSP.

My understand and thought it was part of the Transport Layer, tho it is an Application, but mainly interest if the device can handle streaming rates as needed- Thanks for the respond

After reviewing the Netgear GS-108T, opt out for the GS108Tv2--thanks for all your help pointing me to a good results

My understand and thought it was part of the Transport Layer, tho it is an Application, but mainly interest if the device can handle streaming rates as needed- Thanks for the respond

Any gigabit switch - managed or not, is going to have more than enough bandwidth for any application.

@Hap - you may not need a L2/L3 managed switch actually - it's likely not going to help much...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!