What's new

Need a wifi router with bandwidth metering / limiting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

binary971

New Around Here
I currently have a Netgear R6100 and am running into issues with bandwidth. Three people in the house who all play games, watch Netflix, and download things. Here is what I am looking for...

- Best WiFi speeds to allow full use of the 100 Mbps download speed using only 2.4 or 5 Ghz (not dual band).
- No one is wired in. Everyone is using wifi.
- No one is transferring files between computers. Only internet traffic runs through it.
- Bandwidth monitor for individual devices.
- Bandwidth limiting for individual devices.

I was thinking a Netgear R7000 and installing DD-WRT. Open to any suggestions you think would be better. I don't want to spend more than $200 on the router. Only buy new, not refurbished.

Thanks!

A couple ideas for you. Netgear's Dynamic QOS software has an ability to both monitor individual devices bandwidth utilization and either dynamically manage or manually manage its priority which will limit or un-limit a device's access to available bandwidth. This is important if you have a moderate size pipe or want to ensure certain devices get max bandwidth. The "Dynamic" aspect of it links both device and application to its logic. Meaning give priority to this device when its running Netflix but lower priority if it's downloading a file or web surfing.

Now about your question about bandwidth limiting for individual devices. If you mean dont let this particular device use more than 1gig bandwidth then no there isnt. But if you have a data cap you are trying to manage to then yes but its for the total useage not a single device. If you mean limit the speed of particular devices then yes thats what the Dynamic QOS manual settings can do for you.

Currently the routers that support Dynamic QOS are the Netgear R7500 and the R8000. Given the fact that all your devices are wireless you may want to consider the R8000 AC3200 router. Its a triband router with 2 5ghz bands and 1 2.4 band. I would set it up with 2 distinct 5ghz bands (it can be configured with 1 seamless 5g band that automatically assigns devices by performance but in our case I wouldnt set it up that way). This will provide maximum bandwidth for your wifi use. Id use the 2.4 gig band for less critical or longer distance devices. While more expensive than the R7000 I think the additional money would be well spent for you.

A note of refurbs. I would not hesitate to buy a factory refurb. They carry the same warranty as new and have the benefit of being throughly checked out. This is different then some 3rd party repack. I buy refurbs all the time and as a rule never have issues.

Bob Silver
Netgear Advisor

I was wondering that dual , tri and quad band is very confusing. Say i have 4-6 ac clients mix of pc and smart phones. Assuming 300-2gb being transferred by each client. say 3 smartphones and 2 tablets and 1 pc all are equiped with ac client.

To the above situation say 3 smartphones have 1x1 so max rate is 433 Mbps. say 2 bands of 433 is covered.
the 2 tablets are 2x2 so max rate could be 866 Mbps say rest of 2 bands are covered.

I am not sure if pc have 3x3 ac wireless then it will be suffice for the router to support. I know each spatial stream can support many clients. My question is what if all the spatial stream is over loaded.

Say smartphones are backing up 500mb of photos and files to PC so 3 x 500 . 1.5gb
Tablets are downloading 7000mb of videos from PC so 2 x 700 1.4gb
PC being connected wireless at 3x3 backing up above from smartphones and delivering it to tablets.

Will the x4 or quad band 4 spatial stream can do this simultaneously upload_2015-6-9_13-29-46.png provided all were in the same room or close proximity.

In order to do this atleast 80 % of bandwidth is required consistently to deliver and take in traffic.

Say the same is applicable for those devices doing Internet downloading and uploading and streaming.

So i believe now router architecture is more designed in a way such that 2 things being mandate.

Local file tranfer among the local network where more cpu power is being utlized. So as the Internet being primary delivered same through wired and wireless.

As the x4 of netgear architecture and next gen wave 2 based router's does have IOT and secondary cpu for local things.

upload_2015-6-9_13-29-46.png

R7500-quad-chart-large.jpg

Last edited:
I currently have a Netgear R6100 and am running into issues with bandwidth. Three people in the house who all play games, watch Netflix, and download things. Here is what I am looking for...

- Best WiFi speeds to allow full use of the 100 Mbps download speed using only 2.4 or 5 Ghz (not dual band).
- No one is wired in. Everyone is using wifi.
- No one is transferring files between computers. Only internet traffic runs through it.
- Bandwidth monitor for individual devices.
- Bandwidth limiting for individual devices.

I was thinking a Netgear R7000 and installing DD-WRT. Open to any suggestions you think would be better. I don't want to spend more than $200 on the router. Only buy new, not refurbished.

Thanks!

This is perhaps a Dear Abby moment...

<tough love>

All things told - I think you have a social concerns with your roommates with a minor in control issues

The applications are there, and people are going to use them, and you feel badly that you're not getting your fair share... sorry to hear about that...

It's WiFi, and it's a shared medium, and no amount of special QOS magic is really going to solve it... if they're all clients on the same AP, well, that's the bandwidth, and the biggest demand generally wins..

If you don't like it, get another AP, set it up on a different channel and SSID, and everything is cool beans...​

</tough love>

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!