What's new

Need a Wireless Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Greg Valvo

New Around Here
So, I’m looking to purchase a Wireless Access Point. Features I want:

* Hard-wired GigaBit Ethernet connection back to the router.

* Dual band 802.11ac/n/g

* Good range.

* MAC filtering at the Wireless Access Point by supplying a list of allowed MAC addresses.

Also, indoor only and I don't need PoE. I purchased a Netgear EX7000 only to find that it lacked the MAC Filtering. So, I’m searching again. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Greg

So, I’m looking to purchase a Wireless Access Point. Features I want:

* MAC filtering at the Wireless Access Point by supplying a list of allowed MAC addresses

Greg

If you use good wireless security do you still need good MAC filtering?

So you are looking for a guest network through WAP filtering? I think there are only a couple which do this. You have a lot more choices if you are assigning a SSID to a VLAN.

So you are looking for a guest network through WAP filtering? I think there are only a couple which do this. You have a lot more choices if you are assigning a SSID to a VLAN.

No, the Guest network is provided as a feature of the main FIOS Quantum router. The access point is to extend the private network to another area. I want the guests on the Guest network, but if my kids inadvertently give their friends the password for the private network then they won’t connect (because of MAC filtering) and will know to switch to the Guest.

Not sure what your budget is but I use an ASUS RT-AC68U as an access point and have been extremely happy with it. It has MAC filtering.

Not sure what your budget is but I use an ASUS RT-AC68U as an access point and have been extremely happy with it. It has MAC filtering.

Thanks. I was starting to think along the same lines: use a router in access point mode. There are more choices available. Any opinion on RT-AC68U verses Linksys WRT1900?

abailey:
Just to confirm the setup you're using with the RT-AC68U: It's hard-wired to a LAN port on your main router with an Ethernet cable? Which port on the RT-AC68U -- WAN or LAN?
Thanks.

I am running the RT-AC68U in AP mode. I am using a LAN port on the RTAC68U but I think you could use the WAN port as I believe in AP mode the WAN port functions like another LAN port.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!