What's new

NEED ADVICE BEFORE 11PM EST - Best Router as of July, 2019?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nick23

New Around Here
Hello all. I read the rankings but am concerned it may be outdated or may be considering some factors other than how well the router might perform (e.g. bang for buck, etc.).

Is the best performing router currently (as of this post on 7/16/2019) the NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S Smart WiFi Router (R7800) - AC2600?

I have a 3 story house and would like to have great performance throughout. The usage would be for gaming (console and computer) while simultaneously streaming on smart TVs (e.g. Netflix in 4K); basically connecting many devices at once (TVs, Gaming, Smart Phones, iPads, etc.).

I am asking for this advice as soon as possible as I would like to take advantage of the Amazon Prime Day sale if the best router is in fact on sale. Thanks in advance!!!!! Your knowledgeable opinions are greatly appreciated

I guess you missed Prime day. The best game router would have low latency. The best low latency is going to be AT&T gig internet. Cable has higher latency. The router is the next link in the low latency chain. You need to use wired as wireless has high latency.

The next thing is a wireless router is probably not going to cover three floors with 5 GHz wireless. 2.4 GHz maybe will but it is not near as good as 5 GHz. So you might be better off with a wired router and multiple wireless APs.

PS
Google fiber internet may work as well.

as coxhaus says, it won't cover it all on the 5 GHz band so APs may be needed. I have the R7800 but live in an apartment so it covers all. I can say from experience that it's a very decent router and currently virtually the only one to consider from NETGEAR due to the other models having so many firmware issues.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!