What's new

Need advice+help setting up a wireless bridge.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kaivish

New Around Here
I am not really tech savy, but do understand quite some things in the tech department.
Let me explain my dilema.
I have a cable provider who delivers iptv through fiber to my house. the regular way to get the tv channels is to have ethernet cable pulled through the walls to a decoder and from decoder to tv via hdmi. My problem is that I would like to get the tv signals on another floor where ethernet cables have not been installed in the wall.
I have tried a homeplug powerline. tp-link av500+ tl-4010pkit.
I could not get throughputs of over 11 mbps in the same room on different wall sockets. moving the one powerline to the lower floor in the kitchen where i would like to get the tv signal i got really painful transfer rates of 0.32mbps.
At these speeds just makes it impossible to stream hd tv channels.
I have been thinking about going wireless on the 5ghz band due to less interference. But i need advice on a simple access point and client(receiver) to be able to continuously stream the signal to the lower floor.
The cable provider actually sells a wireless bridge made my motorola. Its a simple setup with a base(access point) and a receiver (client) running on the 5ghz band and having a single ethernet port for the connection from the home central (on base) and the set top box\decoder ( on receiver). My problem is they ask for almost 250USD for that simple bridge.

Is there any access points\ ethernet bridges that will not cost me so much but still get the job done by being able to continuously stream tv signals with rates of at least 70-75mbps? Any advice\ideas on set ups?
Any ethernet bridge will be able to stream the data, even if it is not internet data? not sure about the tv signal if it is sent same way as internet data, but internet data is usually sent in packets while hd tv signals seems to be sent in constant signal flow.

much appreciate the help.

I am not really tech savy, but do understand quite some things in the tech department.
Let me explain my dilema.
I have a cable provider who delivers iptv through fiber to my house. the regular way to get the tv channels is to have ethernet cable pulled through the walls to a decoder and from decoder to tv via hdmi. My problem is that I would like to get the tv signals on another floor where ethernet cables have not been installed in the wall.
I have tried a homeplug powerline. tp-link av500+ tl-4010pkit.
I could not get throughputs of over 11 mbps in the same room on different wall sockets. moving the one powerline to the lower floor in the kitchen where i would like to get the tv signal i got really painful transfer rates of 0.32mbps.
At these speeds just makes it impossible to stream hd tv channels.
I have been thinking about going wireless on the 5ghz band due to less interference. But i need advice on a simple access point and client(receiver) to be able to continuously stream the signal to the lower floor.
The cable provider actually sells a wireless bridge made my motorola. Its a simple setup with a base(access point) and a receiver (client) running on the 5ghz band and having a single ethernet port for the connection from the home central (on base) and the set top box\decoder ( on receiver). My problem is they ask for almost 250USD for that simple bridge.

Is there any access points\ ethernet bridges that will not cost me so much but still get the job done by being able to continuously stream tv signals with rates of at least 70-75mbps? Any advice\ideas on set ups?
Any ethernet bridge will be able to stream the data, even if it is not internet data? not sure about the tv signal if it is sent same way as internet data, but internet data is usually sent in packets while hd tv signals seems to be sent in constant signal flow.

much appreciate the help.

not a sustained 70Mbps.

Tried MoCA ?

I agree with Stevech that MOCA would be great if you have COAX in the area needed. It works well. As far as wireless goes, 5Ghz stuff does not go through obstacles very well (like through floors). If you want to try it here is a wireless bridge that works well, is easy to install, and cost less than the one you referenced: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Z53K8Q/?tag=snbforums-20

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!