What's new

Need advice on how to upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nuromen

Occasional Visitor
Greetings everyone, this is my first post, but I follow this forum for quite some time.

I have search the forum, but have found nothing or I did not search it correctly.

I have a ASUS RT-AC68U whit JFFS enabled, Diversion, Entware and Pixel instaled, swap file is on a USB 3.0 stick.

Can anyone tell me the best approach to update my router to the latest firmware version.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings everyone, this is my first post, but I follow this forum for quite some time.

I have search the forum, but have found nothing or I did not search it correctly.

I have a ASUS RT-AC68U whit JFFS enabled, Diversion, Entware and Pixel instaled, swap file is on a USB 3.0 stick.

Can anyone tell me the best approach to update my router to the latest firmware version.

Thanks in advance.

You have to first tell us the version you are on now. :)

Thanks in advance.
This is excellent:https://x3mtek.com/asuswrt-merlin-firmware-upgrade/

I'm on 384.9 Merlin
Welcome to the forum.

384.9 IS the latest firmware.

Which firmware version were you on BEFORE you installed 384.9?

Which guide did you follow when you installed it? At some stage did you restore the router to factory default settings AFTER you installed Merlin’s firmware, if so, when was that?

Welcome to the forum.

384.9 IS the latest firmware.

Which firmware version were you on BEFORE you installed 384.9?

Which guide did you follow when you installed it? At some stage did you restore the router to factory default settings AFTER you installed Merlin’s firmware, if so, when was that?

I followed several guides and router is running ok.

The firmware I had before was the normal Asus Firmware.

I Just realized that 384.10 is Beta. :-/

But nevertheless since I have deluge running, a swap file, diversion and Pixel instaled.

How should I proceed to update to the future release.

I probably must have to stop service's before I eject the USB Drive.

Some advice would be helpful.

I followed several guides and router is running ok.

The firmware I had before was the normal Asus Firmware.

I Just realized that 384.10 is Beta. :-/

But nevertheless since I have deluge running, a swap file, diversion and Pixel instaled.

How should I proceed to update to the future release.

I probably must have to stop service's before I eject the USB Drive.

Some advice would be helpful.
You never said if you reset the router to factory default settings AFTER you flashed Merlin’s 384.9 over the stock Asus firmware.

The advice you’re looking for is here in this guide:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

and you really should read all the way to the end of the topic.

If you didn’t reset the router, you should do so otherwise you are likely to run into horrible glitches.

Follow L&LD’s guide and you can’t go wrong.

Last edited:

Thanks in advance.
Can you correct the spelling error in the title “updade” to “upgrade” to possibly allow the search engines to better direct people here in future? (Sorry for all the split infinitives.) Thanks.

Can you correct the spelling error in the title “updade” to “upgrade” to possibly allow the search engines to better direct people here in future? (Sorry for all the split infinitives.) Thanks.

Title edited, my mistake...

Merlin Stable: 384.10_2 is out.

I really need advice how to update.

Thanks in advance.

Please see the link in my signature below for further details.

An overview of what I would do for your specific router and installed scripts:
  • Reboot your router via the GUI.
  • Flash RMerlin's 384.10_2
  • If the router updated correctly to the new version, great.
  • If it didn't:
  • Safely remove your USB drive from the GUI.
  • Reboot the router.
  • Flash RMerlins 384.10_2
  • When the router boots up, check that the new version is installed.
  • If it is, wait at least 10 minutes for the router (CPU cores) to settle.
  • Plug in the USB drive. Wait for 5 minutes.
  • Reboot via the GUI.
The router should be updated and working normally for you. If it isn't, wait another 10 minutes or more and reboot once more.

If you dont have problems right now:
download zip file
unzip it
and select file for manual update

Please see the link in my signature below for further details.

An overview of what I would do for your specific router and installed scripts:
  • Reboot your router via the GUI.
  • Flash RMerlin's 384.10_2
  • If the router updated correctly to the new version, great.
  • If it didn't:
  • Safely remove your USB drive from the GUI.
  • Reboot the router.
  • Flash RMerlins 384.10_2
  • When the router boots up, check that the new version is installed.
  • If it is, wait at least 10 minutes for the router (CPU cores) to settle.
  • Plug in the USB drive. Wait for 5 minutes.
  • Reboot via the GUI.
The router should be updated and working normally for you. If it isn't, wait another 10 minutes or more and reboot once more.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Since I have swap on the USB drive, how do I safe remove de Drive. Is it enough to remove from the GUI.

I have read somewhere here in the forum that's better to upgrade the firmware without the USB flash drive connected.

Ps: I'm writing from my mobile and I don't see your signature.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Since I have swap on the USB drive, how do I safe remove de Drive. Is it enough to remove from the GUI.

I have read somewhere here in the forum that's better to upgrade the firmware without the USB flash drive connected.

Ps: I'm writing from my mobile and I don't see your signature.

To see the website better on a mobile, turn your device sideways. It may work for you too. :)

Yes, do it from the GUI and you should have no issues. Do note though that you may or may not have internet until the last step when you reboot with the USB drive inserted again. ;)

The reason you want to remove the USB drive is to have enough RAM to perform the upgrade. I have done many firmware flashes and the RT-AC68U is the most likely router that will perform a successful update even with the USB drive inserted, after a reboot that was GUI initiated. :)

That is also why I give you two methods to try too. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!