What's new

Need advice, Upgrade Synology or get Drobo Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

skinhealer

New Around Here
Hello All,

At present I have a synology 213J (2bay)and have 4TB which has been used up. I have an option of getting the Drobo Pro which has 8 bay for almost free. Presently i use Synology as network drive to back my my computers and for movies, songs and pictures.

My question is that can I use the Drobo Pro as a network drive or should upgrade my drives for synology which is more expensive?, I assume it is possible it states iSCSI for network when i looked on line for its specs.

Thank You,

What model of the drobo specifically?

The iSCSI models are more for people looking to add to a SAN network. It works with iSCSI, so you will need to setup iSCSI volumes on your workstations. It doesn't have the ability to serve SMB shares, for example, so it is a bit more complicated to setup.

The non-iSCSI models are more like your Synology in terms of accessing the system, availability of apps, etc.