What's new

Need advice upgrading from an N300 router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The market demand for the N66U keeps the price up and yes, I am still using an RT-N66U for over 2 years now.

The RT-AC66U is not a contender for me based on the N66U hardware (even if it is superior in operation) given the similar price to the RT-AC68U that I originally suggested here.

I suggest buying all the routers you can safely test within a fully returnable window and keep the one that suits your environment best.

Times spent testing and returning is better than money saved and having 1/4 or less of the possible speeds you can get.

Now, I still don't know your clients, but I am confident that if they're anything more than a phone or tablet, they will benefit in a worthwhile way with such an upgrade as this.

Devices are a Galaxy S3, Roku 3, Blu Ray, Panasonic HDTV, Marantz AV receiver, Asus Zenbook that is used mostly when out on appts rather than in the house.

I just want to clarify that in my post above, I meant that the RT-AC66U and the RT-N66U have the same level of hardware and at similar prices I wouldn't consider the RT-AC66U over a closely priced RT-N66U and certainly not for even a much more expensive RT-AC68U.

With the devices you have, I think that an AC1900 class router will be noticeable on most of them over the N300 class router you have now.

OK guys.. so if I'm understanding correctly pulling the trigger on an RT-N66U at the least or if I happen to find a nearly as good deal on the AC68U would be the right move then. I'm opting for a new one or one that's nearly new, aka open box. With either of these, do you recommend going with stock firmware since I'm not a tweaker like many here? Thanks for all your help. Will let you know what I come across and the results once I get it set up.

I still recommend (and use) RMerlin firmware and I too am not a tweaker.

The extra care and final bug fixes RMerlin provides are more than worth moving from stock.

I would also recommend an RT-AC56U or higher over an RT-N66U at this time too. :)

Wait for a sale and / or price match and get them for less than $100 brand new.

Thanks much for the tips. The consumer reviews I've read about the AC56U haven't been flattering especially when it comes to range. Since you stated that the RT-N66U and AC66U share the same hardware, it would appear the best direction might be the AC68U/R instead.

I keep trying to save you money, but you're still believing reviews from questionable sources. :)

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-3-0-0-4-374-38-is-out.14691/page-19#post-99500

374.38_1 at 100 feet from router to client (client down one floor, 4 interior walls),

Ookla speed test showed,
2.4GHz band - 22/2.4 @ 9ms latency (down/up).
5GHz band - 10/2.4 @ 10ms latency

This is what impressed me the most with the RT-AC56U's internal antenna design - still great range and throughput - especially on the 2.4GHz band.

The ISP at this location provides 25/2.5 max down/up speeds - getting this close to 100%, wirelessly, speaks volumes about the quality of the hardware and the Asus/RMerlin software combination.

Note that this was with the infamous -EM (Engineering Mode) that RMerlin experimented with for a short time.

Today, the RMerlin based hggomes fork achieves similar if not even better results. (hggomes takes the latest RMerlin firmware and unlocks the Tx power available).

I'll point out one final time; the RT-AC56U is a 2x2 router while the RT-AC68U is 3x3. with the right 3 antennae clients, the external antennae based AC68U can give a significant range and throughput increase vs. the internal 2 antennae based AC56U.

(Now, you know as much as I do). :)

I appreciate very much your advice. So when you say you're trying to save me money it's confusing. I'm not seeing huge price difference though I can get a brand new AC 56 U for $80 right now. So if you'll bear with me I'd just like to know if you think it's a better move as well as to future proof by spending a bit more for the 68u. The firmware discussion you provided may be simple to you but for someone who has never installed third party on a router it's not. The SBB review of the AC 56u was excellent as you know. Thanks again

Installing 3rd party FW like Merlin on asus routers is no big deal , you flash it just like factory FW , you can switch back no problem and has no effect on warranty . I would go with the 68 , N is old AC is now and will be much better for streaming video and transferring files . What took 1 to 2 minutes on an N router takes 15 to 30 seconds now on my AC router .

Installing 3rd party FW like Merlin on asus routers is no big deal , you flash it just like factory FW , you can switch back no problem and has no effect on warranty . I would go with the 68 , N is old AC is now and will be much better for streaming video and transferring files . What took 1 to 2 minutes on an N router takes 15 to 30 seconds now on my AC router .
Jerry.. Thanks so much. The debate hasn't been about the N vs AC, but rather the model AC 56 at around $70 + vs the AC 68 which would be more.

I appreciate very much your advice. So when you say you're trying to save me money it's confusing. I'm not seeing huge price difference though I can get a brand new AC 56 U for $80 right now. So if you'll bear with me I'd just like to know if you think it's a better move as well as to future proof by spending a bit more for the 68u. The firmware discussion you provided may be simple to you but for someone who has never installed third party on a router it's not. The SBB review of the AC 56u was excellent as you know. Thanks again

The RT-AC56U and the RT-AC68U are hardware identical except for the antennae.

To future proof a little, I would be suggesting the RT-AC87U.

RT-AC87U is the best balance of hardware we have available today with the RMerlin magic. ;)

The RT-AC68P comes with the same processor as the RT-AC87U and RT-AC3200. Plus the antennae are different on the P version over the U, W and R versions. They look similar to the RT-AC87U antennae.

The RT-AC68P comes with the same processor as the RT-AC87U and RT-AC3200. Plus the antennae are different on the P version over the U, W and R versions. They look similar to the RT-AC87U antennae.

The difference is that the RT-AC68P and the RT-AC3200 do not have the hardware capabilities to enable MU-MIMO at all. With the RT-AC87U, I am still hopeful it will be enabled in the near future.

The difference is that the RT-AC68P and the RT-AC3200 do not have the hardware capabilities to enable MU-MIMO at all. With the RT-AC87U, I am still hopeful it will be enabled in the near future.
That's for all your MU-MIMO enabled devices, right?

The RT-AC56U and the RT-AC68U are hardware identical except for the antennae.

To future proof a little, I would be suggesting the RT-AC87U.

RT-AC87U is the best balance of hardware we have available today with the RMerlin magic. ;)
Not to throw in another model, but I've been seeing some of the T Mobile branded AC68U's (model TM-AC1900). I've found some new ones for sale in the area of $100-$120. What say you community? Are these worth it for someone like me? I should add I've been offered an AC56U for $80 brand new also.

If you can get an RT-AC68U for $100, the $20 over the RT-AC56U is well worth it for the extra antennae and stream you'll use in your future devices.

Just make sure to turn it into an RMerlin / Asus model and junk the TM firmware asap before your return or exchange period expires.

Thanks so much.. I decided against the T Mobile version for a variety of reasons. I just got wind of a sealed AC68U for $130 out the door, so I'm going to see if he'll take $120 or less.. the AC56U's seem to be priced at around $90 +/- so I'll take your advice and stick with the 68U instead. Once I get one, I'm going to need help installing Merlin since I've never done it before, LOL

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!