What's new

Need advice upgrading from an N300 router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Installing RMerlin firmware is as easy as doing stock Asus firmware: point to it in the gui (simply click on the firmware version to go directly to that page) and click Upload. Wait 3 minutes or so and then reset to factory defaults.

Now, manually and minimally configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP.

Done. :)

The best settings are simple:
  1. Leave the Wireless mode to Auto for both bands
  2. Short Preamble for both bands
  3. Test for throughput on each channel
    1. Test from the fastest wired device you have to the fastest wireless device you have.
    2. Don't bother with programs like inssider let your results guide you to the best channel to use
  4. Do the same for both bands and make sure to reboot the router between tests and keep the wireless laptop in the same location and position when testing
  5. Again; don't run programs like inssider at least while you're testing as they artificially attenuate the throughput.
  6. Enjoy

Also, don't forget that the router needs to be in the optimum location too (even your current one):
  1. At least 10 feet above ground (not just above the floor)
  2. Central to the area needing coverage
  3. At least a foot away from side, back walls and ceilings (corners are a no-no)
    1. Preferably three feet clearance in all dimensions

OK cool.. The router is placed about 3 ft from a wall on top of my desk which is another 3' above the floor and my condo is above the carport so I'm well over 10' off the ground :) Since the ceilings are 8' high I couldn't possibly get the router to 10' above the floor, LOL

I use Open DNS for my primary and secondary settings on my current Netgear N300 and get very nice speeds. Does the Merlin firmware find the fastest connection on its own or can I set the DNS like I have it now? Sorry to ask all this but the Asus firmware is far beyond what I have now :)

Also, don't forget that the router needs to be in the optimum location too (even your current one):
  1. At least 10 feet above ground (not just above the floor)
  2. Central to the area needing coverage
  3. At least a foot away from side, back walls and ceilings (corners are a no-no)
    1. Preferably three feet clearance in all dimensions
OK cool.. The router is placed about 3 ft from a wall on top of my desk which is another 3' above the floor and my condo is above the carport so I'm well over 10' off the ground :) Since the ceilings are 8' high I couldn't possibly get the router to 10' above the floor, LOL

I use Open DNS for my primary and secondary settings on my current Netgear N300 and get very nice speeds. Does the Merlin firmware find the fastest connection on its own or can I set the DNS like I have it now? Sorry to ask all this but the Asus firmware is far beyond what I have now :)

Re-read what I wrote. :) The distance from the ground is important, the realities of the space need to be taken into consideration too, obviously.

I couldn't possibly get the router to 12' above the floor
o.png

See answer above.

Does the AC87U support MU-MIMO at this time?

Yes, in hardware. No, in firmware or available clients.

OK folks.. wanted to let you know I got my new RT-AC56R set up today without a hitch.. Using the uncluttered 5 gHz band and getting over 62 mbps as compared to 28 on my old Netgear N300 router. That's about 50% of my wired speed (125-126 mbps) but far better than what I had before. I also noticed an improvement in WAN/LAN speeds. The Namebench DNS utility test took about 20% the time to run as it did on my old router and I successfully reset to Open DNS as a result. Very nice indeed!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!