What's new

Need Advice: Wireless streaming in the Bus

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wilsonj09

New Around Here
Hello Everyone,

The company I work for wanna build a bus server system for some of our high profile clients on pilot. Right, we have 45 min to 2 hr tour of our campus for visitors and in the tour we wanna show them different informative videos (digitally protected, size 1-2 GB each) and other stuff on their cell phones over wifi. Its not gonna be live stream. We cant show them on TV bcz they are all gonna have different things to show so we thought of setting an ethernet LAN system in the bus like the one they have in flights but our tech department is not interested. So going back to problem, we are facing many issues to work it out.

So we wanna use a portable local media server as we are not authorized to use it over internet. So its more like a NAS and wanna build a wireless network.

Hardware system is goona be installed in the bus. All the content is gonna be stored in the system installed in the bus and then streamed off to cell phones with wifi.
So do you have any idea on what should be the hardware we should use to support a bulky system like this to sustain.
Also with so many users (around 20-25) simultaneously using for streaming and surfing, we use HDD with RAID or SSD?

Then all the content is digitally protected, so we are gonna have to encode it when it is broadcasted. So we need a heavy CPU system with lots of RAM?

Can someone give me a rough estimate of specifications vis-a-vis cost bcz we dont wanna overshot budget?
Thanks

What's the budget?

I can't see this coming in for less than a couple of grand, minimum.

you can look into GPU accelerated encoding. Many modern GPUs have dedicated encoding on them so the GPU specs dont matter. Even intel has too. You can use an SSD or HDD with raid 0 or raid 5 or 6 but for HDDs try ones that can handle a lot of requests like WD red or black or seagate barracuda or seagate cheetahs. If you use a hard drive make sure it has dual core CPU on it at least and as much cache as it can have.

as for wireless some brands like mikrotik and ubiquiti have AC wireless with 1W or more transmitters if you need range. If it is just within the bus only than any wireless AP would do.

I wouldnt call it bulky if you use intel with good integrated IGP and a small case with an AP. As for streaming consider using multicast.
If you need more bandwidth add a multiport network card and 2 APs or more. Wireless AC have more channels but it depends what country you're in. It is important to use DFS to prevent interference with radar but if you dont have the full channels available than you should only use 1 AP.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!