What's new

Need help deciding between rt-ac1900p v3 or the rt-ac68u c1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnCrichton

New Around Here
I currently have both the rt-ac1900p v3 and the rt-ac68u c1 and I need to return one.
The AC1900p v3 is the only one that gives me a little bit of information about the hardware on the box and on Asus's website. It says it has a 1.4 GHz dual-core processor.
Also somewhat interested in trying out other firmware in the future but not sure if I'm willing to give up a hardware upgrade to do it.
Every website I've searched I have been getting different information, so I'm a little confused. Which one of these have the newer, better hardware? Which one would you recommend I keep?

The RT-AC1900P is the latest version of the RT-AC68U router model line. This router works with RMerlin's firmware for the RT-AC68U, no issues (as has been reported in these forums).

With the highest performing processor and the latest power amplifiers (and WiFi circuit design), this is the router I would bet on long term.

How does the RT-AC1900P stack up to to the RT-AC3100? They have the same processor correct? How about the power amplifiers? Circuit design? Are they the same as well? I know they are different class router's but does the 3100 justify the $80 price increase?

How does the RT-AC1900P stack up to to the RT-AC3100? They have the same processor correct? How about the power amplifiers? Circuit design? Are they the same as well?

I would guess they are equal or above (in the RT-AC3100). The RT-AC3100 does have double the ram (512MB) of the previous generation of routers though.

How does the RT-AC1900P stack up to to the RT-AC3100? They have the same processor correct? How about the power amplifiers? Circuit design? Are they the same as well? I know they are different class router's but does the 3100 justify the $80 price increase?

Different wifi chip. The CPU is the only thing similar.

So the 3100 has the better chip I would assume?

Yes. 4x4 + MU-MIMO instead lf just 3x3, also has its own dedicated CPU.

Yes. 4x4 + MU-MIMO instead lf just 3x3, also has its own dedicated CPU.

Huh?

The Wireless chips have always had their own MCU inside, as this is how it's done - that's why there is firmware blobs that need to be loaded, and all the attending GPL issues...

It's not a public interface, but wifi chips have real-time requirements than Linux on the SoC cannot handle...

(more Broadcom PENTACORE!!! propaganda here...)

Huh?

The Wireless chips have always had their own MCU inside, as this is how it's done - that's why there is firmware blobs that need to be loaded, and all the attending GPL issues...

It's not a public interface, but wifi chips have real-time requirements than Linux on the SoC cannot handle...

(more Broadcom PENTACORE!!! propaganda here...)

No, there was an actual architecture change between the 4360 and the BCM43602/BCM4366. Older chips had the code run almost entirely on the main CPU as a kernel driver (wl.ko), these newer chips offload a lot of that code on the SoC's dedicated CPU (with the DHD architecture they now use).

I'm talking about an actual CPU (it's an ARM Cortex A7 if I remember correctly), not just a specialized logical unit here.

No, there was an actual architecture change between the 4360 and the BCM43602/BCM4366. Older chips had the code run almost entirely on the main CPU as a kernel driver (wl.ko), these newer chips offload a lot of that code on the SoC's dedicated CPU (with the DHD architecture they now use).

I'm talking about an actual CPU (it's an ARM Cortex A7 if I remember correctly), not just a specialized logical unit here.

4331 and 4360 both have dedicated microprocessors onboard - as do many of their client oriented chipsets - see the brcm fullmac driver code and not the press releases... the softmac driver has some code that runs on the host cpu, as it's a split architecture there.

Can't say much more... in any event, the ARM in the 4366 is not accessible by the host os..

in any event, the ARM in the 4366 is not accessible by the host os..

I never said it was. My point wasn't about that, my point was about more code being offloaded to that CPU to explain the difference between the 4360 and the 4366. I did use the word "dedicated" in my post.

I never said it was. My point wasn't about that, my point was about more code being offloaded to that CPU to explain the difference between the 4360 and the 4366. I did use the word "dedicated" in my post.

True true - the 4366 has a fair amount more work to do as it has to do all the MU calculations, MU group management, and scheduling for MU appropriate traffic - and if I recall, it's a Cortex A53 variant...

I bought a RT-AC1900P at BB about a month ago, and the box says it's a "V1"? Anyone know the difference between the "V1" and "V3" 1900P's?

I bought a RT-AC1900P at BB about a month ago, and the box says it's a "V1"? Anyone know the difference between the "V1" and "V3" 1900P's?

If I remember correctly, a 'V3' RT-AC1900P model has 1.4GHz processor instead of a 1GHz processor.

If I remember correctly, a 'V3' RT-AC1900P model has 1.4GHz processor instead of a 1GHz processor.

Tracking back thru history - if I recall, all the RT-AC1900P's are the same CPU/Clock speed...

Tracking back thru history - if I recall, all the RT-AC1900P's are the same CPU/Clock speed...

You may be right (sounds 'right'). What I may be remembering (or, still forgetting) is that the power amplifiers were changed on the later versions?

You may be right (sounds 'right'). What I may be remembering (or, still forgetting) is that the power amplifiers were changed on the later versions?

Nobody knows what's different between an RT-AC1900 V1 and V3. The fact that they both appeared at the same time makes me suspect there might not be any difference and this might just be a packaging quirk. I can't see Asus going through three major revision within the course of a few weeks.