What's new

Need Help Deciding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

majorpayne

New Around Here
Hello All,

I’m trying to decide what I’m truly needing. I currently have 1 Gbps Synchronous internet using a Netgear 6300v2. My house is only 1400 sq ft and the current setup allows me to get only get in the mid 80’s Mbps range when on the other side of my house using 5ghz, using 2.4 I’m in the mid 60’s. I’m looking at getting either a Ubiquti Edge Router and AP Pro or Use my Hades Canyon (listed below) to run PFsense with a AP Pro… Thoughts? This is a Home Office.

My current Hardware

(E) Personal PC – Gaming, Youtube, and the like

(E) Hade Canyon – Test Server – Game server – whatever I want it to be (ESXI)

(E) Pre Built – File Server

(W) Wife’s Laptop (2)

(E) My Laptop (work)

(W) 2 Cell Phones

(E,W) 2 Amazon Fire Tv’s

(E) 1 HDHomerun

(E) 1 Wink Homeautomated

(E) 1 Phillips Hue

(W)2 Echo’s

(W) 1 Echo Spot

What does E and W mean ? wired and wireless ?
Sounds like the wireless devices don't support the higher speeds or perhaps 5 GHz channel. Looks like "N" speeds.
How are you actually measuring speed and between what ?
Have you done a wireless channel survey to find out what interference from the neighbors exists and what channels might be less used ?

Do you have any interposing switches for the wired side ?

The wired devices, assuming they are not "fast" ethernet, but are Gb ethernet, may be able to get higher bandwidth if the devices support it. If you are talking about file or directory copies to a file server, 60 -150 mbit/sec would not be unusual even if the link rate is Gb.

What does E and W mean ? wired and wireless ?
Sounds like the wireless devices don't support the higher speeds or perhaps 5 GHz channel. Looks like "N" speeds.
How are you actually measuring speed and between what ?
Have you done a wireless channel survey to find out what interference from the neighbors exists and what channels might be less used ?

Do you have any interposing switches for the wired side ?

The wired devices, assuming they are not "fast" ethernet, but are Gb ethernet, may be able to get higher bandwidth if the devices support it. If you are talking about file or directory copies to a file server, 60 -150 mbit/sec would not be unusual even if the link rate is Gb.

E mean ethernet, W means wireless

The Cell phones are Samsung Note 5's they support 5hz with support for AC
I'm just using good ol ookla for my speed tests and runnning them 3 times in each spot.
My desktop is a Asus TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING with a Intel® I219V, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller and is running 1Gbps test speeds just fine.
I have a TP-link unmanaged 16 port switch that takes the connection from the R6300v2 and sends it to my other wired devices.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!