What's new

need help seeing a D-Link DCS-930L from outside my home

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sparks

Occasional Visitor
I set it up and everything was good I thought.
I can log into mydlink and the camera works fine.
Then I went to work and logged into mydlink and after a long time of trying it says can not find the camera.

Is this something that is blocked at work?
Even if it could not show live feed it should at least say it connected to the camera shouldn't it?

I would have thought that hitting dlink from home or work should produce the same results of at least saying I see it but I am not allowed to display it.

Yes. Sounds like there is a block in place at work.

If your router is set to forward port 80 from the Internet to the LAN IP address and port of your camera, it should work. In my experience, many/most prudent corporations allow employees' PCs to make outward connections ONLY on port 80 (standard HTTP) and 443 for HTTPS. No others. And many employers block based on domain name/IP, such as blocking web mail services, social networking servers, gotomyPC et al, and video servers.

But your home camera as above should work. You will of course need dynamic DNS account to deal with your changing IP address. Some employers might block on that too - such as prohibiting xxx.dyndns.org.

Many use WebSense as their DNS blacklister - and in my case, they block at the corporate firewall based on numeric IP, not the domain name.

Last edited:
If your router is set to forward port 80 from the Internet to the LAN IP address and port of your camera

I did not think of incoming port 80.
I was sure that when I went to mydlink from home and it found and connected to the camera and worked that it should do the same from any pc.

just for a test I tried to connect to
(http://checkip.dyndns.org/)

this site has a content rating of

(malware)

This web site has been restricted either because of its content or the potential for harm from malicious code (adware/spyware/viruses) that may infect your PC. Please be aware that accessing this site may compromise your PC.

This web session was logged.

I pay $15/yr from Hover.com for my own domain name.
You can also get a domain name from dyndns.org price-bundled with dynamic DNS service.

Also, I've found that some IP cameras stream on other than port 80. And that likely gets blocked at a corporate firewall even though you can get to the camera's port 80 http web page.

You can use a URL that gets a still frame jpeg to your corporate PC's web browser (domain name permitting). Example:

http:// mydomain.com/CgiStart?page=Single&Resolution=640x480&Quality=Standard&RPeriod=3&Size=STD&PresetOperation=Move&Language=0

for my Panasonic camera, yields a still frame jpeg refreshed every 3 seconds. With this, no use of ActiveX or Java is needed, nor streaming on a port other than 80.

Last edited:
I set it up and everything was good I thought.
I can log into mydlink and the camera works fine.
Then I went to work and logged into mydlink and after a long time of trying it says can not find the camera.

Even if it could not show live feed it should at least say it connected to the camera shouldn't it?

I would have thought that hitting dlink from home or work should produce the same results of at least saying I see it but I am not allowed to display it.
in school just simply unblock them using proxy sites like from proxy-zone.net lol
:p

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!