What's new

Need Help Setting up FTP on NAS 214+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CnfsdWhtGuy

New Around Here
I am an inexperienced user trying to setup a Ftp on our NAS. This was initially setup through an outside source but I want to avoid that and learn this. So initially the device was setup as just an internal storage device for our shared company files. Now we want to move our site backups from our hosted server to the NAS. To do this I need to setup a FTP which from a few videos I have seen does not seem overly complicated. When I first downloaded the Synology assistant however it was unable to locate the NAS. It was setup initially via a laptop at the station. There were two ethernet cords plugged in to our wired network router. I unplugged one and plugged it directly into our Mac Airport Router. Now it can be found by the assistant. First questions. Is this ok to do? Do I have to have both cords plugged into the same device? Will this effect anything having it setup in this way?

I am awaiting the admin login for the NAS as my user login is just that a user only. Once I do is there a quick step by step guide handy that I can follow? Thanks again and I appreciate any support you can provide.

Don't use FTP across your router and out to the internet. It will be quickly hacked.

Use Synology's DSM software for PCs and handhelds.

Better, use a service like OpenDrive or iDrive then your NAS isn't at risk.

This is serious biz.

I am not sure I understand what you mean. Is plugging the ethernet port into the router the issue or is making the NAS into an FTP the issue. The problem is our storage space on our hosted server is full. We have a huge amount of space on the NAS here. All I want to do is backup our sites on the NAS instead of the hosted server. Can you steer me in a better direction? And why would it get hacked? Would a good password not hold up?

Thanks in advance!

I am not sure I understand what you mean. Is plugging the ethernet port into the router the issue or is making the NAS into an FTP the issue. The problem is our storage space on our hosted server is full. We have a huge amount of space on the NAS here. All I want to do is backup our sites on the NAS instead of the hosted server. Can you steer me in a better direction? And why would it get hacked? Would a good password not hold up?

Thanks in advance!
FTP is OK >if< you don't expose the NAS' FTP server to the internet via the router.

Normally people get/put files with a NAS using shares, not FTP.

The only way my system will allow me to download the backups outside of our hosted server is via FTP. So if I plug the NAS into the router to program it from my desk and then plug it back into the Netgear network will this work? Technically the network is connected to the internet but I cannot find it on my network without plugging it into the mac airport. I am assuming this is because the internet goes through the netgear system before the mac airport. I am sorry if these are very basic questions I just want to make sure I understand everything. Looking at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCxdGWmrcOM

Does that make sense? Is there a better reference out there? I did not see the same version on my system but I am assuming I will be able to navigate it as well.

There may be a different method but from what I was told by Hostgator and by our new IT guy this is the option I have to go with. We had a dedicated guy who literally up and left a few months ago. About that time but unrelated we started having IT issues. Our 2003 email server was having problems and our internal hard drive on the server was full. After finding our IT guy gone I located a new person who assisted me in hosting email online and getting the NAS as well. He was actually the one to recommend setting up the NAS as a FTP. I dont know if this will help but our site is PHP Based and is an ecommerce template. Any backups we choose from the cpanel will only backup locally on our hosted server. The only method I have heard of and can find on the cpanel is for FTP. If you know another more common method I can try and locate let me know. I would like to simplify this process as much as possible.

Re question on FTP client for Synology...

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/tutorials/510

Synology's optionally installed "Download Manager" application...
  • Has web browser GUI for configuring it
  • Supports about 6 different download protocols, including FTP and Bittorrent
  • Has scheduler of what to download when, logins, etc

Not to be confused with the option to run an FTP server as well.

There may be a different method but from what I was told by Hostgator and by our new IT guy this is the option I have to go with. We had a dedicated guy who literally up and left a few months ago. About that time but unrelated we started having IT issues. Our 2003 email server was having problems and our internal hard drive on the server was full. After finding our IT guy gone I located a new person who assisted me in hosting email online and getting the NAS as well. He was actually the one to recommend setting up the NAS as a FTP. I dont know if this will help but our site is PHP Based and is an ecommerce template. Any backups we choose from the cpanel will only backup locally on our hosted server. The only method I have heard of and can find on the cpanel is for FTP. If you know another more common method I can try and locate let me know. I would like to simplify this process as much as possible.

When you say FTP, do you mean secure FTP?

FTP isn't secure because when send your username and password over the Internet, it's not encrypted. Maybe you're talking about SFTP? But if you're not, it would be really bad to use just plain FTP since it's not secure.

Google "FTP Snooping".

Edit: if you're just using ftp on the lan, it's not a big deal. But if anyone ever tried to access over the Internet, your username and password will be compromised since it's not encrypted.

Last edited:
When you say FTP, do you mean secure FTP?

FTP isn't secure because when send your username and password over the Internet, it's not encrypted. Maybe you're talking about SFTP? But if you're not, it would be really bad to use just plain FTP since it's not secure.

Google "FTP Snooping".

Edit: if you're just using ftp on the lan, it's not a big deal. But if anyone ever tried to access over the Internet, your username and password will be compromised since it's not encrypted.
Yes, several flavors of FTP, including SFTP et al.
Also.. need to use "passive mode" FTP/SFTP where the client initiates the TCP connection for data flow. Older non-passive had the server initiate the connection - which fails today due to client side edge router firewall policies. Intra-LAN, not an issue.

Last edited: