What's new

Need Help Troubleshooting New Windows 10 VPN Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ppilot

Regular Contributor
So I am trying to setup a VPN server on a computer to allow remote access and not having any luck.

For the record the Server is running Windows 10 Home as is the computer trying to access the VPN.

I've done the port forwarding on the router and was doing some initial testing on the local network but still couldn't connect correctly despite being able to ping with out any problems. I went through and verified that all the routing and remote access options were enabled in Windows Firewall on both the server and the test PC but still was getting the following error

"The remote connection was not made because the attempted VPN tunnels failed. The VPN server might be unreachable. If this connection is attempting to use an L2TP/IPsec tunnel, the security parameters required for IPsec negotiation might not be configured properly."

Any thoughts?

UPDATE - So I can now connect to the VPN locally, but when I try testing it out using a wireless hotspot it still doesn't work.

Last edited:
So I am trying to setup a VPN server on a computer to allow remote access and not having any luck.

For the record the Server is running Windows 10 Home as is the computer trying to access the VPN.

I've done the port forwarding on the router and was doing some initial testing on the local network but still couldn't connect correctly despite being able to ping with out any problems. I went through and verified that all the routing and remote access options were enabled in Windows Firewall on both the server and the test PC but still was getting the following error

"The remote connection was not made because the attempted VPN tunnels failed. The VPN server might be unreachable. If this connection is attempting to use an L2TP/IPsec tunnel, the security parameters required for IPsec negotiation might not be configured properly."

Any thoughts?

UPDATE - So I can now connect to the VPN locally, but when I try testing it out using a wireless hotspot it still doesn't work.
First of all what server are you running on Win 10 home?
You should be running a server on your router instead.

i would recommend using Team Viewer that will solve all your problems.