What's new

Need help with load balancing and proxy DNS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alexcavazos67

New Around Here
Hi,

I need help on how to configure my router so it will work with my proxy DNS and load balancing.

I have a Linksys LRT224 router. I have two broadband connections from two separate ISPs,500Mbps each (WAN1 & WAN2). WAN1 has a static IP and WAN2 is dynamic assigned. I use Unlocator (www.unlocator.com) so I can access geographically restricted sites (Pandora, Netflix, etc.).

The problem I have is that unlocator registers only one IP address (WAN1 address) and since I am doing load balancing I have no way of knowing if the DNS request will go through the registered IP (WAN1) or through the other (WAN2). I am not an expert in routing or networking but I'm guessing I have a way of configuring the router so all the DNS requests go out through WAN1, right?

In the router's Dual WAN config page there is a section for Protocol Binding. I tried to configure but only managed to screw up the internet at home.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Alex

Don't make this any more complicated than it needs to be.
Just set up the DNS for both of the WAN interfaces manually to:
and

This is done in:
Setup > Network > WAN settings > Configuration button for BOTH WAN interfaces.
The page will look like this:
http://ui.linksys.com/files/LRT224/v1.0.2.06/edit_network.htm
Check the box and enter the IP addresses of the servers.

EDIT:
My mistake, just saw this service only allows one IP.
hmmmm.
Try not entering an IP address at all for the DNS servers in the Dynamic interface?

I think the problem is if the registered IP WAN fails, the other WAN is not going to help. I would contact the company about how to handle fail over.

Hi
I am using mwan3 package with OpenWrt to do load balance.
and I could set a rule: if target port is 53 UDP, it will go through WAN1.

If you could not fix your problem, OpenWrt maybe a solution.

Thanks for your feedback guys.

I might end up registering the two IPs. I've asked the proxy DNS vendor if I can register two IPs given the fact that both IPs are in the same household and that I am not using their service twice, just doing load balancing.

Cheers!
Alex