What's new

Need help with suggestions for a DFS enabled home router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DrCoras

New Around Here
Hi everyone, a bit new here.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on US home routers that currently have DFS enabled. I recently moved and in my new location, the 2 5MHz options are so congested, I am having difficulty using wifi in my own apartment. I was previously in a condo with no neighbors using 5 MHz, and my AC88U and AC66U combo worked beautifully. Now, I am competing with over 12 different signals and depending where I sit in my apartment, some of them are coming through stronger than my own router/AP!

I am about 13 miles from Sky Harbor airport, but no other radar in my local area. The next closest weather station to me is about 20 miles southeast. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Am I too close to the airport to prevent rampant DFS channel hopping and will using those sweet middle channels make no difference?

Thank you very much in advance for any help. I moved to these apartments as a temporary residence until I can move into my house in 14 months, but I never considered how congested an area could be until I ended up in one.

Sean

Why add to the WiFi overload by using the RT-AC66U in addition to the RT-AC88U? Doesn't the RT-AC88U cover your apartment (easily)?

Are you using 'Auto' channels (don't)?

I actually turned off the WiFi on the AC66U and am using it as a switch to the second bedroom right now. The AC88U is able to cover the entire apartment fine.

I am not using auto, but both sets of channels on the 5MHz spectrum seem to be equally congested. I'm using the higher channels right now but am experiencing severe slowdown and dropouts on anything not in the same room with the router.

If you want access to the DFS channels, then you need to use "auto" for your 5GHz channel selection...

As another thread noted, your client devices might not support DFS channels.

a lot of clients do support it actually. Its only the rare things like channel 13 that clients dont support.

You'd be surprised - there are low cost clients that do not because of the cost for testing DFS, esp. if they also support protocols like Miracast or WiDi (WiFi Direct) where they can behave as AdHoc/IBSS stations...

You'd be surprised - there are low cost clients that do not because of the cost for testing DFS, esp. if they also support protocols like Miracast or WiDi (WiFi Direct) where they can behave as AdHoc/IBSS stations...
Well printers still use 100Mb/s and 2.4Ghz wifi because they dont have a need for higher bandwidths. A few MB/s is enough for them and they still use usb2 (or perhaps usb1 because of connector).

My printer supports wifi direct and wifi but i use the onboard ethernet instead of wifi, less headaches and less wifi traffic.

Well printers still use 100Mb/s and 2.4Ghz wifi because they dont have a need for higher bandwidths. A few MB/s is enough for them and they still use usb2 (or perhaps usb1 because of connector).

My printer supports wifi direct and wifi but i use the onboard ethernet instead of wifi, less headaches and less wifi traffic.

Set Top boxes is what I was considering here...