What's new

Need QoS that's actually working. Is QoS better on Asus or Netgear?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Italiano

Occasional Visitor
I had routers from Netgear and TP-Link and none satisfied my needs which are:

Laptop A needs to have the highest priority when it comes to bandwidth. All the time. So even if laptop B is hogging the wireless network with torrents for example, I want laptop A to have the full bandwidth the second I turn it on and start downloading a large file from a FTP server. When the laptop A finishes downloading, the laptop B can have full bandwidth back for torrenting or whatever.

Like I said, I haven't been able to accomplish that with a TP-Link Archer C7 or Netgear 2200 (that's an older model). I even contacted the TP-Link support and their instructions couldn't help me either. They finally said that they don't support what I want.

Where I live I can only buy online Asus ac68u or Netgear r7000. Which of these two can support my scenario?

I should point out that I will be buying the modem-router combo, so it's either DSL-ac68u or D7000. As far as I know, alternative firmware are not available for modem-router combos so I'm stuck with a stock firmware.

And I live pretty far from exchange so my signal is not very good.

Thanks!

Last edited:
For the best QoS you want a configurable router like mikrotik, ubiquiti, linux server, pfsense and so on. All non consumer brands cannot do priority and bandwidth QoS at the same time, only one at a time. So regardless of whether you buy a fancy asus or netgear you will not be able to use priorities and bandwidth limitations together.

For the best QoS you want a configurable router like mikrotik, ubiquiti, linux server, pfsense and so on. All non consumer brands cannot do priority and bandwidth QoS at the same time, only one at a time. So regardless of whether you buy a fancy asus or netgear you will not be able to use priorities and bandwidth limitations together.

I'd be curious to see how OpenWRT/CeroWRT fares with QoS.

So, I've been using QoS on the RT-AC66U for a while now, and there's a one thing I wanted to point out.

I'm no network expert, and QoS was quite new to me when I started playing with it. I thought when it said "prioritize traffic" it actually meant that the in- and out packet being sent is basically being prioritized over any other packets when configured correctly. Apparently, the QoS in the AC-RT66U just divides the available bandwidth. For instance, a 'High Priority' basically just reserves 80% of the bandwidth to the specific application you have configured, so whenever I use that application, all other services and applications has to struggle with the remaining 20% bandwidth.

I wish I it was a differeny way

Laptop A needs to have the highest priority when it comes to bandwidth. All the time.

qos is never going to work the way you want it to esp when it comes to torrents as its not just the download speed that needs controlling but the upload and the concurrent connections that are flooding the router in ether direction

your only real solution is to set limits in the torrent client so it doesnt flood the connection or use the bandwidth limit function in the asus

just fyi is your using adsl just be aware that the asus has a mediatek adsl chipset modem and does not do well on long lines from the exchange , so if you are above 35db attenuation or have speeds slower than about 10M down you are better to go with the d7000 as its has a more stable broadcom modem chipset in it that is far better for long noisy lines

just fyi is your using adsl just be aware that the asus has a mediatek adsl chipset modem and does not do well on long lines from the exchange , so if you are above 35db attenuation or have speeds slower than about 10M down you are better to go with the d7000 as its has a more stable broadcom modem chipset in it that is far better for long noisy lines
Yes, I have above 35db attenuation and I have both Asus DSL-AC68U and Netgear D7000 at home right now for testing but I can't find CRC errors info in the D7000 modem-router, it only shows me attenuation and SNR info. Any thoughts?

havnt got the d7000 so not sure but imho the d7000 is better for your line as its broadcom modem chipset

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!