What's new

Need recommendation: For Wireless switch with 8 or more ports

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CyberAthlete

Occasional Visitor
I have 8 clients in the basement with legacy network connections (2.4 Ghz mix of b/g/n) and I wanted to setup a wireless switch that will allow me to take advantage of higher download speeds that my ISP provides but in no way can be achieved by any of the devices unfortunately.

I have an two Asus AC3100 (Router + Access Point) setup and will be connecting the switch to the Access Point. I prefer to use wireless as it will spare me from running a network cable through the living room to the basement. Otherwise a wired suggestion is welcome too. Thanks!

PS: Can i connect the Switch (Wired connection) to an access point? So the connection goes as such:
Router > Access Point > Switch

Last edited:
The ASUS AC88U has 8 ethernet ports but it is basically 2x 5port switches which one connects to the other or both connect to the router CPU.

IF you want a switch not a router than mikrotik actually has a switch with wifi but it is also a router (they all run the same OS).

Joking aside there arent switches with wifi.

I would suggest against your setup because it yields very poor performance especially when using the 4x4 chips. If you truely want a wireless bridge it involves getting a 2 of the same APs, directional antennas for all their antennas and using them only as bridges. Not only is this more expensive but it is the only way to set up a wifi bridge properly with satisfactory performance. I have mentioned this too many times here already.

Just run ethernet instead, its a lot cheaper, better performance and less issues. Sure wifi numbers say they have higher bandwidth but in reality you arent going to be getting those numbers unlike ethernet which is more reliable and while wifi is limited by how much traffic is in an area (you cant get more bandwidth from a channel) you can bond multiple ethernet ports together for more bandwidth. If you dont like cables going around than hide them or blend them in with some tape and such.

Need recommendation: For Wireless switch with 8 or more ports
Why not using wireless cables to connect the devices directly? :rolleyes:
Sorry, but I could not resist to post this! :D

Ha! i meant to say
Why not using wireless cables to connect the devices directly? :rolleyes:
Sorry, but I could not resist to post this! :D

Ha! What I meant was the Switch connects to the AP wirelessly but all devices are plugged into its ports.

I will go the way of the wired option and do that. Less expensive and stable. Thank you!

Any suggestions: T-Link, D-Link, Netgear? I assume there are plenty of decent switches <$30.

Thank you!

Ordered this for $19.99 + 1x 100ft cat 6 cable + 10x 14ft cat 6 cables.

Now the switch will plug in directly into my Access Point (LAN 1 Port of AP > LAN 1 Port of Switch). If that doesn't work then I am out of luck.

Thank you!

Really really bad security other than not very good firmware and hardware. Ofcourse some of their hardware is fine but only with 3rd party firmware.
The security of dlink routers are so bad that you're better off with the ISP given router unless it is D-link. I have had first hand experience of their lack of security. Even their dumb switches arent reliable.

some linksys routers also have showed some security flaws that they never patched that is discussed in this forum as well.

Really really bad security other than not very good firmware and hardware. Ofcourse some of their hardware is fine but only with 3rd party firmware.
The security of dlink routers are so bad that you're better off with the ISP given router unless it is D-link. I have had first hand experience of their lack of security. Even their dumb switches arent reliable.

some linksys routers also have showed some security flaws that they never patched that is discussed in this forum as well.
I´ve never owned any D-Link equipment, but I´ve recently bought a Linksys LRT224 router. Any known security issues with that particular model?

I don't know but I went with a hardwired switch. No wireless connection within it so wireless security is a moot point at this time :) At least in this thread :)

just avoid dlink and you'll be fine.

Their un-managed dumb switches actually aren't that bad - commodity items...

Totally understand on their Router/AP's and the various security issues there

;)

an 8-port "dumb" switch is pretty much any vendor - most of the tier one SOHO vendors are the same design...

That's a specific issue with those devices (Router/AP's)...

Seems like you have a bone to pick with both D-Link and Linksys, LOL...
Linksys, not so much.
I've used both in the past and what really bothers me is that they do not fix their mistakes. no firmware updates with fixes either. I had to show how bad the dlink router was that you could get the passwords in plain text just by using a link to the router without the need to login, the hidden user and remote admin making the router google searchable and so on. I also noticed that many people dont really know that consumer routers hang every once in a while and they call the ISP instead of power cycling. It is an unbearable sight.

I´ve never owned any D-Link equipment, but I´ve recently bought a Linksys LRT224 router. Any known security issues with that particular model?

The way I read the security issue is Linksys runs an unprotected guess network which a rogue device can gain access to. Not sure whether it is wireless only or not.

You should be fine because you are running your VLANs using a layer 3 switch. You will not be running the guess network using the Linksys architecture.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!