What's new

Need router with AP + guest network ability

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NoOne

New Around Here
Hi everyone!

I'll describe situation in few words, at office i have some Huawei LTE modem + router, and some old Linksys WRT54G2 with DD-WRT firmware configured as AP. But while we have some guests they ask for Wi-Fi sometimes so i need some isolated network.

Huawei have some option to have 4 networks, but i don't see option to make them isolated, i don't know why this option is needed at all.. Linksys woks as AP only and i can not open any guest network. Geographically linksys closer to the point where guests sits, but it is also necessary for office users.

Also at home i have Asus RT-N56U, just saying as i could use it and get something better for home use instead. Asus have Guest Network option, but i don't know if it works if router is set to AP mode as i use it in Router mode.

And finally the question:

• I need either budget router to change my Linksys and it should be able to work as AP + open additional guest network.
  • Either if Asus can do it i need something more recent, "fancy" but not too pricey.. to take home and put Asus at work as AP. Of course if it can open guest network in AP mode.
  • And maybe third option is to get some cheapo router and connect it to one of Linksys LAN? But i think in AP mode linksys don't work as wired switch/router anymore?
  • Other options.

Thanks for your advice guys!

some APs have a way to go about this but in general isolation is done through 2 ways. If the device is a router than the SSID is not bridged. If the device is an AP than the SSID will be bridged to a vlan. Depending on the size of the network you will need either a router with guest network or a router that supports vlans.

If its only 1 wifi you need i know ASUS has guest wifi that is isolated. There are other routers you need. If you need multiple wifi APs you need to use vlans on router and AP. The easiest way to configure this is in openwrt but many APs/routers will bridge guest to vlan but requires some looking up.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!