What's new

Need some advice installing a couple switches

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

roldogg

Regular Contributor
Ok, I think I'm now trying to configure something that's beyond my realm of expertise. I recently purchased a couple of Netgear ProSafe GS108Tv2 8 port smart switches. One of these are in my home office, where I have a CAT6 line running to from my Asus RT-AC87R, and the other is hooked up in my bedroom, which also has a CAT6 cable drop.

In the past, I've used a 2nd router setup as a Client Bridge using a static IP under the same subnet so all my devices could talk to each other or I've used a "dumb switch, " or a hub, to hardwire all my devices into. I purchased these switches because my new desktop in my office supports LAG, and I'm also in the market to add a QNAP NAS, which may have anywhere from 2-4 1GB LAN ports, so I'd like to be able to control the traffic on my network better. I now have a total of 43 devices connected to my network, never all of them at once, and some of these devices are hardwired into one of these switches (using 2 of the LAN ports on my router) and then I have a cheap WD NAS plugged into one LAN port, and one isn't being used at all.

Obviously these Netgear switches take a little more time to setup that the old switch, or hub, where everything is just plugged in and then it works, barely. Of course, like most routers, the IP on my router is 192.168.1.1. I remember from setting up additional routers on my network that if I used an IP of 192.168.0.1, then nothing hooked to that router would talk to anything else, but if I used the same subnet, like 192.168.1.2, they would.

These switches came with a factory default of a different subnet. If I try setting one with a static IP, disable DHCP, use the router as the gateway, and using the same subnet as my router, then after a little while, my network crashes. I'm not exactly clear on how to set these up optimally. Should they use the same subnet as the router (I do want all my devices to be able to see each other)? The devices I'm connecting to these switches have static IPs, which are setup on the router. Do I need to keep DHCP enabled on the switch, remove the static IP of the device that I'm connecting to the switch from the router? These switches work off MAC addresses, so I wasn't sure if the router would be able to see each device I have hooked up to the switch or if it only sees the MAC, and IP, of the switch itself and then the switch takes the data from there and sends it to whichever port it needs to be sent to.
Each port on the switch handles 2GB of throughput, so my goal is to set these up to maximize the throughput to whatever devices needs it at that time. Also, is there any benefit to disabling the ports that aren't being used on the switch or would it even make a difference since the switch sends the data to the port requesting the data.

If someone can give me a few words of advice on how these should be setup I would greatly appreciate it, or even if you can point me in the right direction of where I can find more info to setup these switches so my throughput will be more efficient, packets are only sent to the ports of the devices that need them, and also if I can set everything up to talk to each other instead of setting up each switch with a different subnet, and creating smaller independent networks with whatever devices are hooked into the switch? Would it benefit anything if I got a larger switch to run all the LAN ports from my router to send then branch off of it?

I'd appreciate any advice. I think I bit off more than I can chew here.

From having a quick look at the manual of the Netgear ProSafe GS108T the switch has a default IP address of 192.168.0.239 and a default subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Your routers subnet is 192.168.1.0.

You can do it one of two ways. You can change the routers subnet, or change the switches IP address. For home networking, the rule is, one router, one network (one DHCP Server). Meaning all devices are in the same subnet, unless you have a good handle on what you are doing.. Each device in a network requires a unique IP address / subnet mask, and correct default gateway, in order to function correctly.

I would start with one Netgear switch, change the IP on the switch, if that is what you want. You can either allow the switch to get an IP address via DHCP, reserve an IP address (within your DHCP pool), or give the device a static IP Address (outside of your DHCP pool. If you go the static IP route, you need to modify your DHCP Pool on your router).

The manual shows how to connect to the switch and select the option you want. So.. start with one switch. Make sure it works correctly and then move to the next one. Keep track of the device IP address assignments and MAC addresses, so you know what you are looking at on the router (so you know what's what)..

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GS108T_GS110TP_SWA_5Nov10.pdf

Starting at page 11. The info in the manual seems to be pretty thorough. I imagine these switches also would benefit for their latest FW upgrades. They probably have their own forums, also..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!