What's new

Need some help deciding.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

overhauled101

Occasional Visitor
Looking to replace my Asus RT-AC66u. Trying to decide between the Netgear R7800 or Asus RT-AC3100. Any recommendations?

I have the AC66R model of that router and am thinking of replacing as well. I do have Merlin firmware on it and it seems to be more stable than it was originally. I have recently added a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Pro and turned off the wifi in the Asus. I don't know if that is what has helped or not but I like it so far. I am interested what the members here offer to you. I am very close to adding an Edgrouter X and another access point.

Thanks for the replies! I ended up going with the Asus. Have always had good luck with Asus so I figured is would stick with them.

My 2 cents worth is that you probably don't need more than a "1900" AC router for home use. I have Asus RT-AC68P router and it is plenty for my home use and I have an Asus RT-AC56U router for an AP.

Looking to replace my Asus RT-AC66u. Trying to decide between the Netgear R7800 or Asus RT-AC3100. Any recommendations?

If you are comfortable with the Asus WebGUI, then the obvious choice would be to move to the RT-AC3100...

However... since you have an AC class router already, you might not notice much of a difference with any AC class compared to what you already have - the AC66U is still supported by Asus and third parties, so unless it's having issues, maybe consider a wait and see approach...

The Netgear R7800 is a great piece of hardware, best wireless I've had, and the stock Netgear firmware is working fine. You will get more features and a faster cpu if you go to it. A faster cpu can be useful if you have plans to increase your internet download speed to a Gbps at some point, or want to use a home VPN, etc. I'd suggest looking at reviews on this site to see what you get, and compare that to what you need now and your near-future plans.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!