What's new

need some help on VPN - TOR on AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

steef84

Occasional Visitor
Im running 378.55 on AC66U at the moment. Im using (or trying to use) VPN - TOR for 1 device only.
This is working partly, I have some problems with it. Since the TOR settings is introduced I noticed that TOR is working great until the router reboots. When it reboots my device behind the TOR can't connect to the internet anymore. I have to disable TOR manually in the menu, and after enable it again TOR starts working again. This workaround I've used for some time. When I reboot the device which I want after TOR it still can't connect to the internet. Acces over LAN is working to the device by the way.

Anyone recognises this? I tried multiple times complete factory reset, formatted jffs partition etc to no avail.
Is it a problem on my side? Can someone help me to debug? VPN - TOR doesn't seem to log anything, at least not in the webif.

I will say many times, do not use TOR and especially do not use it on your networking gear. The right way to use TOR is to make sure no other programs use the internet and only connect to it when you have to and only use the stuff they provide such as TOR browser. TOR is highly insecure that you would benefit more from using SSTP VPN or an encrypted web proxy with SSL/HTTPS (which you can chain multiple to get the same effect). Many who use TOR think it is secure when the feds are behind it hacking sites, tracking users and web scripts that will cause your identity to be sent to a particular server. Theres a lot more of security missing that you can make the server reveal itself since using TOR essentially creates a tunnel from outside into your network and uses layer 3 routing, not NAT whereas NAT hides the network behind it.

I use the TOR function for that device only for anonimity. If I understand you right the TOR function on the router isnt as anonymous as I would think. I would be better off using an VPN server for anonimity like Torguard or so?

an encrypted web proxy is better for anonimity (of which you can chain multiple). The only reason to use TOR is to access TOR services. A web proxy is basically the middle man between you an another server. TOR however creates an encrypted tunnel between you and the endpoint but it uses routing, not NAT.

vpn is not meant for anonymity, it is meant to connect devices together like as if it is on a big LAN or network. I remember watching Eli the computer guy on youtube where he explained the flaws of TOR and a few alternatives.

Thanks for your reply again. As I understand it now with my limited experience I should start using services like Privoxy on the router for anonimy. Am I right? Is this the way to using an encrypted web proxy?? I found the Wiki pages so installing shouldt be a problem.

privoxy is a transparent proxy and you will be not be anonymous when using it.

Privoxies main use / feature is for Adverts filtering.

You are better off using the TOR feature available in Merlin for sporadic anonymous non critical/non transactional web browsing

Tor should only be used for a specific application at a time i.e. a particular web browser only when used as an example.

There are a number of web proxies that arent transparent and requires a bit of searching. Please read security articles regarding TOR about how insecure they really are.