What's new

Need some help turning on debug output on hanging AC3200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cpu

Occasional Visitor
Been fighting with this since I upgraded my AC68U to 378_50. Thought the problem might be the AC68U so I replaced it with a AC3200 just to have the same issue. The AC3200 is brand new and it's first version was 378_52_0 and it's on 378_52_2 now.And yes, I did a factory reset on both boxes
I have isolated the AC3200 with an ASUS gigabit switch because it was taking down my entire network every time it went down making it hard to see the issue. I have also moved DHCP to a Fedora machine, turned on Syslog on the Fedora box and pointed the AC3200 at it.
Everything seems to be working, Syslog messages showing up as expected, default level because this takes over three days to show up, actually pretty predictable, it may have happened in as little as two plus days but this last time the AC3200 showed an uptime of 3 days, 14:22 about 20 minutes before disappearing.
Nothing shows up in Syslog(at the time of failure) or the logs on the AC3200(That I can see). The AC3200 has Internet and WAN lights blinking but you can't ping it from the WAN side so I haven't a clue what it's doing. I power cycle the AC3200 and everything returns to normal for another 3+ days.

Everything is pretty vanilla on the AC3200 with no Guest networks and AIProtection turned on but not much else. All Wifi stops responding when the WAN goes down, stopped using it a while back, for now, have an AC66U in the network setup as an AP that does all the Wifi.

I suspect Syslog is probably useless if the WAN interface can't talk to the Fedora machine. Any suggestions on how to get some information on why the AC3200 stops responding ?

Last edited:
I called Asus support last week and backed out to 3.0.0.4.378_4145-gfde59d3 last Friday morning. The unit has now been up for 7 days and 9 hours with no problems. Not sure where to go from here, but first time the unit has stayed up more then about 3.5 days.

I called Asus support last week and backed out to 3.0.0.4.378_4145-gfde59d3 last Friday morning. The unit has now been up for 7 days and 9 hours with no problems. Not sure where to go from here, but first time the unit has stayed up more then about 3.5 days.
Hi,
Newer f/w did it? Then go back down and wait until bug is fixed. That's what I'd do.
Have urgent reason to update f/w for some other issues?

I was running Merlin when it failed, the AC3200 never had any older Merlin versions for me to try. I put Merlin on it the moment I got it. I have updated it to the latest Asus firmware and will see if that fails, but one version back seems to work fine. I didn't see anyone else reporting this problem. I was hoping to run the newest Merlin but I can't reboot the system from remote if it goes down and that's a problem.

Update: I rebooted the my RT-AC3200 with the latest ASUS firmware 3.0.0.4.378.4980 on March 17th and until last night when we took a lighting hit that shutdown m y network all appeared to work fine, but it wasn't. Since I moved my dhcp server to a Linux box the 3200 has been mostly just an internet gateway not doing much of anything else. It has this one thing that started showing up in the logs every hour from the reboot on Mar 17th an ntp update which I was watching for a few days, but looking back in the logs that stopped on Apr 24th, the last thing in the log until the reboot is...
Apr 24 14:00:01 ntp: start NTP update
So there appears to be something that dies after about a week, I'm going to call ASUS and talk to them about it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!