What's new

Need some speed help RT-AC56R

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

camarowheels

New Around Here
I've been trying to figure this one out for a long time. Followed many guides with no luck but have gone without asking.

Currently have an RT-AC56R Merlin 378.55. I connect my computer via a GB nic. Looking at my status I've confirmed the link at 1 Gbps. However, I've never been able to achieve more than about 100 Mbps from the wire or wireless. Directly connected to the modem I get ~210 Mbps, paying for 200 Mbps. The problem lies at the router and I cannot figure it out. Could it be as simple as my ethernet cable? Just re-verified my WAN cable to be cat-5e too. I thought all modern cables were up to the task. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm thinking I can solved my wireless problem if I can solve the wired issue.

Last edited:
What features or options do you have enabled on your router? Can you check if CTF is enabled?

I would suggest you upgrade to the latest release (380.62) and follow the steps suggested in the links below.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac66u-slow-wan-to-lan.12973/page-3#post-269410

Yes, the quality of the cable can and will make a difference. Can you try a good/known cable between your modem and router that is CAT5E or better?

Sometimes, the modem doesn't play nice with the router and putting a switch between them also helps. Can you try a 4 or 5 port switch like this to see if it solves your issue?

Have you tried shutting down all network equipment and physically unplugging them from the wall for at least half an hour or more (including the modem)? Then;

Power up the modem and wait 5 minutes.
Power up the router and wait 5 minutes.
Power up the wired and wireless devices. Is the issue fixed?

The above resets the router and ISP/modem connection and may be all you need to do (other than updating the old firmware you're using, of course). :)

Currently have an RT-AC56R Merlin 378.55. I connect my computer via a GB nic. Looking at my status I've confirmed the link at 1 Gbps.

FWIW - the RT-AC56 isn't a bad router - and with RMerlin's build - it can be pretty good...

When you look at your LAN interface, you'll likely see 1000Mbps, as that is the ethernet speed between your PC and the Router - and that's a good thing...

But that doesn't indicate anything around what your WAN speed is, being offered by your Broadband Provider... which might be considerably lower...

Check with them and see what your account is provisioned for, and there's a couple of threads on the forum (search on Speedtest) that can help you to see if things are working well or not...

Check and see if your NAT acceleration is set to AUTO. LAN/switch control/NAT acceleration

You should also consider upgrading the firmware a few versions.