What's new

Need to reboot routers every 4-7 days

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Andrews476

New Around Here
wlan setup:
1. Internet wifi supplied to home via Fios Quantum Gateway cable modem Model Fios G1100
2. To extend wifi range, Fios modem is connected by ethernet cable to a second router, ASUS Wireless AC1300 Dual Band Gigabyte Router set up as an access point.
3. Devices are 5 wireless cameras, 2 smartphones, laptop connect to wlan

Problem:
Decent coverage throughout the house. But every 4-7 days wifi cameras (2.4G) lose their lan connection. To restore the connection I have to either:
a) unplug and replug the camera to electric power socket
b) reboot one or both routers
Sometimes (a) works but sometimes I need to resort to (b).
ip addresses do not seem to change.
This is getting very annoying, What can I do to remedy the problem?

wlan setup:
1. Internet wifi supplied to home via Fios Quantum Gateway cable modem Model Fios G1100
2. To extend wifi range, Fios modem is connected by ethernet cable to a second router, ASUS Wireless AC1300 Dual Band Gigabyte Router set up as an access point.
3. Devices are 5 wireless cameras, 2 smartphones, laptop connect to wlan

Problem:
Decent coverage throughout the house. But every 4-7 days wifi cameras (2.4G) lose their lan connection. To restore the connection I have to either:
a) unplug and replug the camera to electric power socket
b) reboot one or both routers
Sometimes (a) works but sometimes I need to resort to (b).
ip addresses do not seem to change.
This is getting very annoying, What can I do to remedy the problem?

What is the model of your ASUS router you are using for the AP? I don't recognize it from its description.

General things you can do to improve WiFi reliability:

1. Be sure that both the router and AP are on different channels.
2. Using a utility scan for neighboring WiFi SSIDs and pick the two out of three channels that appear to be least congested. Use only channel 1,6 or 11 if in USA.
3. Since the cameras are your biggest problem consider using different SSIDs on your router and AP. Then have your cameras connect to the router's SSID that is nearest to each camera.
4. On your router assign every device that connects by WiFi a static/sticky LAN IP.
5. If there is any possibility that power glitches are causing issues connect your modem, router and AP to a UPS.
6. If your cameras go into a sleep mode then using a device on your network ping each camera's LAN IP once a minute.

Thank you very much for replying and offering to help. I really appreciate it.
1. The FIOS router is in 2-4 G on channel 8
The ASUS RT-ACRH13 is in 2-4 G
'control channel" Auto channel, currently 5
'extension channel' Auto
see image (I put in fake ssid)

2 and 4 done

3. The AP router is connected by cable to the primary FIOS router. If I give it a different SSID is it still in AP mode?

Power glitches are a possibility but probably not.

Attachments

• ASUS 1.JPG
    ASUS 1.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 331
Thank you very much for replying and offering to help. I really appreciate it.
1. The FIOS router is in 2-4 G on channel 8
The ASUS RT-ACRH13 is in 2-4 G
'control channel" Auto channel, currently 5
'extension channel' Auto
see image (I put in fake ssid)

2 and 4 done

3. The AP router is connected by cable to the primary FIOS router. If I give it a different SSID is it still in AP mode?

Power glitches are a possibility but probably not.

Using different SSIDs between the router and the AP will still leave the AP in AP mode and in the same subnet as the router as long as you are connecting an Ethernet cable from a LAN port on the router to a LAN port on the AP.

Again I and most other people strongly recommend that you ONLY use channels 1, 6 or 11. There are good reasons for this recommendation. Do not allow either the router or the AP to select a channel automatically. Some client devices do not adapt well to finding their SSID on different channels after the radios randomly make a change. This could be an issue with your cameras.

While I have an expert on the line, :) what do I do with 5G channels? Currently both routers are on Auto channels because I do not understand the 5G channel numbers or how to choose the best one.
I am trying to unload the 2.4 band because the router shows there are 17 clients connected ! Some are tv sets, wifi printer, or inactive devices.

For the 5 Ghz channels select a channel ( most any channel will be fine ) on the router and a different channel on the AP. Range is more limited than 2.4 Ghz so interference from neighbors and channel overlap isn't a big problem.

Probably better to pick different SSIDs so you can control which AP devices connect to which radio. Others may suggest that you use the same SSID to improve roaming but often many/some devices don't roam very well.

For devices that are near enough to a 5 Ghz radio and will connect to 5 Ghz select 5 Ghz.

I did everythng you recommended. Everything is working perfectly so far and wifi strength is stronger. I'll know in a week if the problem recurs. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thank you again for helping. May I ask why you underline that the 2 routers should use different channels? It had seemed logical to me that since the second router is just an access point "repeating" the signal, it should broadcast on the same channel as the main one - which is how I originally had it and maybe that was one reason for my problems.

I did everythng you recommended. Everything is working perfectly so far and wifi strength is stronger. I'll know in a week if the problem recurs. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thank you again for helping. May I ask why you underline that the 2 routers should use different channels? It had seemed logical to me that since the second router is just an access point "repeating" the signal, it should broadcast on the same channel as the main one - which is how I originally had it and maybe that was one reason for my problems.

Wifi is a shared air space. Only one WiFi radio can be broadcasting on a single channel at the same time. If you or your neighbors within range are using a particular channel for a data transmission then no other device can be transmitting at the same time. If you both both your router and AP on the same channel you are competing with yourself and slowing your data rate down. Check using a WiFi analysis tool channels 1,6, or 11 and assign the best two to your router and AP setup.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!