What's new

Need to replace WNR3000v3 advice please?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jhferry

Occasional Visitor
Asus RT-AC68U or Buffalo RT-WXR-1900DHP

This Netgear is crapping out, even after flashing with dd-wrt.

I am looking at supporting G and N devices but with 2 kids I have a ton of devices connected along with a bunch of gaming systems wired. I am currently @ 30 down/ 2 up with plans to upgrade to 60 down. I was looking at the nighthawk but I really don't like Netgear. I am also on the 4K bandwagon but I am pretty sure an N router would handle that.

Thoughts on the Asus RT-AC68U or Buffalo RT-WXR-1900DHP? Is there any reason to run DD-WRT over stock?

I am also a little confused, the earlier articles on this site suggest AC1900 was sort of a gimmick. That was last year though. I could move up if it made sense but going from a 300mbs router to this is already a huge jump.

Thoughts?

edit: The Buffalo has 512mb of ram, is that meaningful? I am looking to see what the real world differences are between these 2.

Last edited:
4K wirelessly? Depends on the number of streams, the wifi band, the distance to the router and the client and number of streams it supported too.

I would say wired 4K is your best option...

The RT-AC68U would be my pick for best bang for the buck.

RMerlin firmware, of course. The hggomes fork may be an option too (higher power for higher throughput and range).

4K wirelessly? Depends on the number of streams, the wifi band, the distance to the router and the client and number of streams it supported too.

I would say wired 4K is your best option...

The RT-AC68U would be my pick for best bang for the buck.

RMerlin firmware, of course. The hggomes fork may be an option too (higher power for higher throughput and range).

Sorry i meant wired for 4K.

Good choice. You will be even happier if you switch to Merlin's FW instead of using the stock AsusWRT.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!