What's new

Netduma R1 gaming router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sharpz44

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys , I have just received my new Netduma R1 gaming router and wanted the forum to know about this excellent device, I have set this up between my Asus AC87u (merlin firmware ) and ps4 and it works flawlessly,there are other option to use this if you wanted to keep your existing router wifi ( like AP mode), If you are a gamer I would consider looking at this and there forum has lots of good stuff on, using the geofilter on this device is game breaking , any way have a look if your in to your games.

http://netduma.com

So has anyone looked at this , it works very well, any thoughts pleases

It seems like you are pleased with what it does. What is your interests in other's thoughts? Just to compare? Or are you having any issues?

I think they should use newer mikrotik routerboards too. It seems that their selling point is with the software that would make it easy to use those routerboards. Since mikrotik APIs are the same across all routerOS platforms it might work with other routerboards.

The 850Gx2 for example has 500mhz dual core PPC with 512MB of ram and costs $120 with the accessories.

Hi,

I am not familiar with router boards. I have only come across them tangentially in my digging. May I inquire, from a lay perspective, how would I integrate this into my wireless network? Is there a way to or is there a model with these specs that has wireless built in?

Sorry for my ignorance, it just is something that caught my eye.

Thank you.

I dont get why netduma promotes using it as a secondary router when routerboard hardware does really well as a primary router. netduma uses routerboards with their own custom firmware (check routerboard product page and you will find it exactly the same hardware wise).

The only feature i see that routerboards dont have by default is the location filter but they still make really good routers with many variances. Unless you play games like the ones used with netduma demo the location filter may be useless. Games like GTA 5, space engineers and such use p2p so using location filter would break the game. Other than that the hardware is really good though requires a lot of skill.

However if you are hosting a p2p based multiplayer game or any other type of server you can use the location filter to prevent players/users from certain parts of the world from joining. Since it uses routerboard hardware it is actually much more reliable than other consumer routers so it should be used as the primary router instead. I also find the stats much more appealing (i wish routerOS would add network user based stats). I havent used a netduma but i decided to check what the router could do.

Last edited:
I dont get why netduma promotes using it as a secondary router when routerboard hardware does really well as a primary router. netduma uses routerboards with their own custom firmware (check routerboard product page and you will find it exactly the same hardware wise).

The only feature i see that routerboards dont have by default is the location filter but they still make really good routers with many variances. Unless you play games like the ones used with netduma demo the location filter may be useless. Games like GTA 5, space engineers and such use p2p so using location filter would break the game. Other than that the hardware is really good though requires a lot of skill.

However if you are hosting a p2p based multiplayer game or any other type of server you can use the location filter to prevent players/users from certain parts of the world from joining. Since it uses routerboard hardware it is actually much more reliable than other consumer routers so it should be used as the primary router instead. I also find the stats much more appealing (i wish routerOS would add network user based stats). I havent used a netduma but i decided to check what the router could do.

I have used it and you are right that the filter is only really good for P2P games , such as Fifa, the congestion control on it seems good and works, I did use it as a primary router but due to the lack of 5ghz was a bit of a put off, however the software works as intended and this is a fairly new start up by netduma, so far I would say it does what they say it does, plus it can be hooked such as modem > Netduma > AC Router (AP mode) and the congestion control still used, though I did see a 2mb drop on my ps4 test but that is estimated any way., think its a good little device for some gamers I guess

I think you misread what i said. I was saying that using the geofilter on the router breaks games that use p2p instead of all traffic going through a central server unless you are hosting the game. Other games work fine with geofilter. Games like GTA 5 and space engineers do not transfer data through a central server rather you are transferring data to every other player directly and receiving from them directly too.

I see, well it works with games like FIFA ,once it's set you can't join games outside the filter so you get a better game by playing people inside that radius ,also same with cod ,not that I play that,the filter is insignificant on games like battlefield as dedicated servers are used. Also the filter can be adjusted or turned off ,the congestion control is a strong point in the software and works,not sure how it would compare to my Asus 87u with auto qos enabled and having gaming set highest as there seems no way I can compare.do you think the software looks good on the Netduma

The interface is good and it runs on mikrotik routerboard which is very reliable and really good when properly configured.

Battlefield uses dedicated servers which is good because the filter only shows you servers that are within range. It doesnt prevent a bad latency player from joining a server within range but since your latency would be much better you'd have the advantage over other players. Only some games that thrust the client more like robocraft do not benefit from this. Any multiplier game that doesnt use P2P like space engineers or GTA 5 will work well with the geofilter and the geofilter will work with any game that you host. Having lower latency in FPS games is why netduma focuses on congestion control, QoS for gaming and having a geofilter so you join sessions and servers that have good latency to you.