What's new

Netgear Armor Security Service Is Now Available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I understand and know what you are talking about. However my opinion is I don't trust this security system. Can this system protect our devices as much as dedicated network security devices such as enterprise firewalls and small office firewall? I don't think so. I don't trust consumer grade router security. That is what I wanted to say.

'zero logical sense'? What if the door locks have been compromised? I saw some hacked Asus routers including some other routers. Those routers were turned on firewall and AiProtection. Chinese attackers were using them as VPN servers. I think Asus Aiprotection and Netgear Amor are just marketing tactics until now.
I just don't trust them at all. That's it.

That's not the same thing as claiming that it's stupid. Yes, business-class services will provide better protection, however It's still better security than not having these at all.

I've seen AiProtection actually do something useful personally (I had a RDesktop forwarded for a while on my router for a particular project). AiProtection blocked and reported a number of brute-force attempts targeting the RDesktop protocol specifically.

That's not the same thing as claiming that it's stupid. Yes, business-class services will provide better protection, however It's still better security than not having these at all.

I've seen AiProtection actually do something useful personally (I had a RDesktop forwarded for a while on my router for a particular project). AiProtection blocked and reported a number of brute-force attempts targeting the RDesktop protocol specifically.

That's right. It's better than not having something. But I don't trust them. Endpoint firewall does same job to block the Brute-force attack. Some devices block them automatically if there are 3 or more login attempts even if there is no specific firewall system for example. I understand your opinion. But my opinion is different from yours. I think we have a different point of view. They collect some data from routers to analyze or other purpose.
There is another opinion about it. It does make sense.
https://www.computerworld.com/artic...-router-warnings-on-privacy-and-security.html

An IPS/IDS is not an antivirus. It protects against a very different types of security risks. Your endpoint antivirus cannot protect your network against DDoS, brute-force network attacks and the likes. And endpoint antivirus/security software CAN get compromised/damaged, at which point they completely stop providing any protection at all. A crashed antivirus that's no longer able to update its signature files - I've seen it happen quite a few times over the years. Or people failing to renew their subscription service. Multi-layered security is a very important element in a modern network infrastructure.

Most of your arguments make absolutely zero logical sense. "Router side security software is stupid because it can have vulnerabilities"? It's like saying that door locks are stupid because they can be broken.

The reason behind having frontline security in addition to endpoint security is because the two are complementary. Most mobile devices have no security software installed whatsoever. Embedded/IoT devices don't have any either. Having security software on your router can prevent IoT devices from getting compromised, by blocking access to/from compromised sites. In fact, having security software at the router level is currently the only way to protect these devices, which are very popular targets for botnets these days. Which is why security services at the router level are going to become increasingly popular in the coming years, and for very good reasons.

Except physical security will now hang it's hat on financial security. When was the last time one's router stopped working once the money ran out? Really, why can't the community do some of this, since an attack on one should be an attack on all?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!