What's new

NETGEAR Debuts AC3200 Nighthawk

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

User manual NETGEAR provided to me (not posted yet) has a section on OpenVPN server. So, yes, same as ASUS.

User manual NETGEAR provided to me (not posted yet) has a section on OpenVPN server. So, yes, same as ASUS.

Will be interesting to see if this will trickle down to existing products such as the R7000.

EDIT: Just saw the price. Yikes.

Will be interesting to see if this will trickle down to existing products such as the R7000.

Don't they charge by the antenna now *smile*?

Netgear has still not got the firmware right for the r7000. When will the consumer ever learn?

I find it a bit unsettling considering Broadcom's Xtream platform was revealed only two months ago. I suspect that Netgear might have been working quite closely to Broadcom there to get a product available on market so quickly (and that's still a pretty quick turnaround).

Personally I think more about the R6250 than the R7000 when it comes to rushed out products. Netgear shipped the R6250 months before the similarly-specced Asus RT-AC56U, but with only half of its RAM and half of its CPU cores enabled, and I believe it was only months later that they finalized support for these. We'll see if they also had to take shortcuts in ensuring to be first-to-market with the R8000.

Rushed-to-market designs are the name of the game for every manufacturer. Is ASUS really any different? They seem to keep you busy, Merlin, fixing their continuous stream of bugs.

I thought this chip is penta core run at 2.9ghz, why dual core at 1ghz, does anybody have any idea.

I was going to link to that same article.

In essence, the main CPU is a dual core Broadcom and then they've added local processors on each of the 3 bands for a total of 5 CPU cores.

Basically they're offloading all wifi processing to a standalone CPU on each radio.

This is fairly common in enterprise route/switch gear.

and what do u think asus price on there AC3200 router will be ?

atleast netgear can design a product thats wallmountable........

Personally I think more about the R6250 than the R7000 when it comes to rushed out products. Netgear shipped the R6250 months before the similarly-specced Asus RT-AC56U, but with only half of its RAM and half of its CPU cores enabled, and I believe it was only months later that they finalized support for these.

the R6250 is different from the RT-AC56U. the RT-AC56U is a workhorse and while the CPU is amazing its overkill for 90% of users leading to a slightly inflated price on the product.

Rushed-to-market designs are the name of the game for every manufacturer. Is ASUS really any different? They seem to keep you busy, Merlin, fixing their continuous stream of bugs.

Asus's problem is more about the constant addition of new features with improper QA. Their product tend to take longer to ship, if you look at the long delay between their product announcements and actual shipping dates.

But I agree, the end result is more or less the same: end-user frustration facing things that are not working as expected.

and what do u think asus price on there AC3200 router will be ?

No idea. I would have guessed something around 250$, which would make it about 50$ more expensive than the next model underneath it.

A 100$ gap in a product range is a fairly large gap IMHO.

atleast netgear can design a product thats wallmountable........

The RT-N66 and RT-AC66 were both wall-mountable.

Have you seen anything indicating that the RT-AC3200 wouldn't be? Seeing the flat design shown at Computex, I suspect it might be.

the R6250 is different from the RT-AC56U. the RT-AC56U is a workhorse and while the CPU is amazing its overkill for 90% of users leading to a slightly inflated price on the product.

The R6250 is the same hardware platform as the RT-AC56U. They are both based on Broadcom's Northstar platform, more specifically around a BCM4708 @ 800 MHz. Except that the R6250 shipped a few months ahead of the RT-AC56U, based on a still unfinalized Broadcom SDK.

Re: Pricing. Gotta leave room for AC2350 products at lower price point.

Lower "big number", lower price. Yes, I know 4x4 has more radios......

Remember WRT1900AC original pricing was $299.99. But they flinched and lowered it. I think they may be regretting that now. They tell me they can't keep up with demand right now.

Re: Pricing. Gotta leave room for AC2350 products at lower price point.

Lower "big number", lower price. Yes, I know 4x4 has more radios......

Remember WRT1900AC original pricing was $299.99. But they flinched and lowered it. I think they may be regretting that now. They tell me they can't keep up with demand right now.

I guess I was just incorrectly assuming that current devices would drop down in price to leave some room for the AC2350 products taking over that price range. That would mean that the typical price range will probably be close to this:

150$: old high-end N900 products, AC1200
175-180$: old AC 1750 (MIPS)
180-220$: AC 1750/AC1900 (ARM dual core)
220-250$: AC2350
275-300$: AC3200

Typically, Asus's products were slightly more expensive than Netgear's, so we'll see if the RT-AC3200 would push that last bracket as high as 325$.

You know, it might be an interesting poll, asking what's the most people would pay for a top-of-the-line router for their house, with all the bells & whistles they might expect out of such a product. I always thought 200$ was the magical number. First Belkin, and now Netgear are proving me wrong on that.

No idea. I would have guessed something around 250$, which would make it about 50$ more expensive than the next model underneath it.

A 100$ gap in a product range is a fairly large gap IMHO.

The RT-N66 and RT-AC66 were both wall-mountable.

Have you seen anything indicating that the RT-AC3200 wouldn't be? Seeing the flat design shown at Computex, I suspect it might be.

currently the retail price for the RT-68U is still suppose to be $230. with netgears being $10-30 cheaper and offering the option off wallmounting. if asus were to make there RT-AC3200 wallmountable again like the RT-AC66U ( the last good, wallmountable asus router) that would be nice. it has been over 2 years since asus announced anything nice thats wallmountable.

the other day i was leaning towards MU-MIMO rather then these AC3200 class badboys.

but now im thinking. since MU-MIMO requires client compatability that the AC3200 class might be better for most older 5GHz N clients. simply adding more lanes rather then using them more efficiently

eventually AC3200 MU-MIMO or AC4000 (4X4) MU-MIMO would be what id like ideally.

up those 80MHz channels to 160MHz and boom AC4000 Turns into AC 7500

to be fair as a company i like asus. and i might just choose the AC3200 over this R8000.

but if i were to go the MU-MIMO route. i can't even consider the RT-AC87U because it looks to have the same non-wallmountable design at the RT-68

i guess i can just cross my fingers and hope Asus makes a good AC3200 competitor product soon.

i think in the home router world. people have proved they want new products more then they want working products.

for companies to get the next greatest thing out the door ASAP is more important then having it being 100% functional unforunately.

it will continue to be this way untill people start being smarter.

this is why you dont see business class routers changing there top spec every 6 months..... even AC has not been implemented in most businesses. and if it is its a big descision. its not like oh theres a new router lets just buy it and cross out fingers it does what we need

If this things is anything like the other AC1900 model which seem to be getting a very high un-satisfied rate of 25/30% or more base on all customer reviews from the 3 main brand Asus, Netgear and Linksys from what I have read so far I wouldn't waste my time with it.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!