What's new

NETGEAR Debuts AC3200 Nighthawk

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sorry but no router is worth anywhere near $300. They are just jacking the prices up to see how much they can get away with charging for.

Sorry but no router is worth anywhere near $300. They are just jacking the prices up to see how much they can get away with charging for.

Agreed! All these companies are money hungry and most consumers fall for it.

Even if it was $500, lots of people would buy it.

Simply, people in USA and Canada can afford stuff like this.

Even if it was $500, lots of people would buy it.

Simply, people in USA and Canada can afford stuff like this.

Let's fix that with SOME people can afford stuff like this. Most people can't, even a lot of us tech heads. I for one can't.

There are people paying 400$ for Ethernet Cables, so why not? :)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I1X6PM/?tag=snbforums-20

Exactly. :D

Let's fix that with SOME people can afford stuff like this. Most people can't, even a lot of us tech heads. I for one can't.

I don't agree with you. :p

Maybe (in Canada) people that drink\smoke, can't afford stuff like this with medium income, as that stuff takes a lot of $ away, but ... as i said, people that like techie stuff, can easily afford, and they do.
As you can see @ amazon, there are so many reviews already about this router, and i think amazon is currently the only place that is shipping these routers out, at this time.

Imagine, how many people will buy it once its available locally in stores?

Router cost

Because the router has an additional radio it also requires a 5 amp power supply. Most users don't need an additional radio in the router, so saying they jack the cost is wrong. Many users need a Wired AP to improve coverage.
Unless you have multiple 5G AC clients located in close proximity to the R8000 you have no valid reason to even consider spending $300 in the first place and definitely no reason to be whining about the cost. Save that energy to complain about the cost of a gallon gas.

Maybe (in Canada) people that drink\smoke, can't afford stuff like this with medium income, as that stuff takes a lot of $ away, but ... as i said, people that like techie stuff, can easily afford, and they do.
As you can see @ amazon, there are so many reviews already about this router, and i think amazon is currently the only place that is shipping these routers out, at this time.

I have a well above average income in the US, but it is a single income, and can't afford to just toss $300 at a hobby willy-nillie. Could I actually buy one, sure. My wife would also be pissed and that would likely be all I could resonable afford to spend on my "hobbies" for several months at a minimum. Some people also have families to support, kids to put through college one of these days, etc.

We have one income, i have a son 2 years old, another baby on the way, my wife doesn't work, etc, and i have no issues affording this router.
I am not making 100k yearly, not even close to that, but still, it all depends on how you manage your $.

My wife and me, we don't drink, we don't smoke, if we did, we would be spending easily $400-500 a month (maybe even more) on that shirt.
I don't say that i spend that money, every month on hardware, i don't, but, we spend a lot yearly, on phones, hardware components, etc. and we have no issues affording it. (+ you don't buy this stuff every month).

I respect all of your opinions, but, also, i have my own - and my own way of managing $.

Ok, guys, point made. Yes these new routers are expensive and everyone can make his / her own buy decisions without having to justify them to others. Let's move on, shall we?

Sure, if you want, you can delete all posts (we discussed about $), personally i won't mind at all.

Not all trash IMHO. They've produce at least a handful of very good routers in the past. The 3500L was very good and stable. I've used several of them, heck as recently as 3-4 months ago.

most canadians CAN NOT AFFORD ANYTHING CLOSE TO A $500 router. that idea is rediculous like what?

most canadians CAN NOT AFFORD ANYTHING CLOSE TO A $500 router. that idea is rediculous like what?

We are talking about $299 router + we probably don't live in the same CANADA.

Anyway, i gave my opinions about this, and my situation, if yours is different, well, okay, i respect that.

Over and out from this talk (about who can \ can't afford this router - or routers in this price range).

We have one income, i have a son 2 years old, another baby on the way, my wife doesn't work, etc, and i have no issues affording this router.
I am not making 100k yearly, not even close to that, but still, it all depends on how you manage your $.

no offense, but you probably live somewhere in canada that sucks then. where i live west coast its not like this. many expenses are required just to live and in some places its not cheap, in the town i live in (whistler) the average rent for one person is above $600/m + utilities

near 1500/M is required just for 1 person to live basically here

IF you lived somewhere nice like west van, north van, whistler YOU would not be saying the same thing about u being able to afford it.

and some people would rather live in places which are simply much nicer then having a new router and living somewhere crap

i would NEVER, EVER, live anywhere in canada other then BC. and i absolutely love it where i live.

there is a difference between being able to afford something and having the money. obviously everyone has the money, but you must have alot of excess money if u can just drop $500 like that

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!