What's new

NETGEAR NeoTV Prime with Google TV Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flamaest

Regular Contributor
Good Review!!!

From the review:

"the NeoTV Prime can't browse SMB network shares to access content. Networked content must be served via DLNA."

This is the reason I dumped my google TV system from Logitech, and all other Google TV appliances. This limitation is unaccptable, even PLEX cannot do SMB. This feature has been in XBMC for a decade.

Q: Were you able to confirm if you could decode a ripped DVD? Most Google TV appliances cannot do this due to the MPEG 2 licencing issue.

Decode a ripped DVD?

I hate to admit it, but I haven’t ripped too many DVDs. Most of my content is streamed from online sources. I'm guessing it would depend on the output format that you choose for your DVD ripping software.

In the past, I have ripped DVDs to the .mp4 file format, and that's on the supported file list. In my testing, mp4 files played without an issue. Mpeg-1 and Mpeg-2 are also on the supported file list, but I didn't test those formats.

I'm glad that you liked the review.

-craig-

I'll have to check that out, thanks. My old Logitech Revue is in a box somewhere picking up dust.

Say, did anyone ever get skype working with the revue?

for my Logitech Revue, I was hoping to:

--be able to manage my HDhomeruns

--Access SMB media like using XBMC

--Use skype to chat with family

After not being able to do these three things after much hacking and other attempts, I tossed the unit in a box.

Vimu

Thanks for the post.

I followed your link and found the Vimu Video player app which is a $2.99 app.

I purchased it and installed it. It does find network shares, and will play video and music files. I didn't try a whole gamut of video file types, however. It doesn’t appear to find any pictures however.
It found all of my network shares, and I successfully logged into one of my NAS boxes. It did display all of the directories. However, the photo directories were empty.

If anyone is considering purchasing it, you should check out the supported file types/platforms at http://www.vimuplayer.com/formats/

Since it wasn't included in the factory installed apps, I didn't include it as part of the review. Of course, the GTV platform is (somewhat) extensible, and it's nice to know that SMB capabilities are available from third parties.

It would have been nice if the included aVia app had included SMB capabilities. At least it played photos.....

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!