What's new

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 DST Router (R7300)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Has anybody (else) gotten this router?

I just picked up an open-box special off the Best Buy site. I've been using an Asus AC66u for a couple of years and started to get restless. I have had a dead spot in my kitchen that seems to be filled now with the included DST adapter. I've been interested in trying a Netgear since the reviews of the 6300 came out due to the increased speed of connected USB drives. Anyway, it seems to be going well so far. It just updated to the 1.0.6 32 firmware and I haven't seen any issues yet.

I'm wondering if anyone knows whether the r7000 DD-WRT firmware will work or if there are customizations related to the DST features that would make using the open source firmware problematic. . . I can't find very much discussion about these - just the r7000.

Has anybody (else) gotten this router?

I just picked up an open-box special off the Best Buy site. I've been using an Asus AC66u for a couple of years and started to get restless. I have had a dead spot in my kitchen that seems to be filled now with the included DST adapter. I've been interested in trying a Netgear since the reviews of the 6300 came out due to the increased speed of connected USB drives. Anyway, it seems to be going well so far. It just updated to the 1.0.6 32 firmware and I haven't seen any issues yet.

I'm wondering if anyone knows whether the r7000 DD-WRT firmware will work or if there are customizations related to the DST features that would make using the open source firmware problematic. . . I can't find very much discussion about these - just the r7000.

The DST router is an R7000 with a power line adapter built in as you know. When I was briefed on the product I asked about firmware. The answer was that R7000 firmware should work but couldn't guarantee 100% of the time. I would say give it a try if you are adventurous. You can always revert back to stock.

but I am curious how is it working for you? I think it is a brilliant product idea. It solves so many issues many have with whole home coverage assuming powerline will work in their home. I have suggested to Netgear management that they roll this out channel wide but they are committed to supporting Best Buy since they offer Geek Squad support with the product.

Bob Silver
Netgear Networking Advisor

I think it is a brilliant product idea.

the idea may be good but the logic lacks a little , most of us know that powerline adapters work in prob 50% of cases well enough to bother using them and the other 50% just wont or dont work for the various reasons we have all come to know and despise , the issue here is someone going to buy this for $300 and take it home and then find out the EOP dont work so good and go oh well i still have an r7000 out of it , i think not ( esp since the original r7000 is $100 less ) they will just return it and best buys is going to end up with a lot of so called open box specials

if you purchase a r7000 and a separate set of power line adapters and the adapters dont perform you can just return them , i see this a bit like netgears attempt at the built in hdd in the wndr4700 , def a limited market and prob just too much bundling for its own good , i do give cred to netgear for attempting something different but they do routers dam good and should keep the focus on them

Thanks, bobsilver, for the information. I'm not quite ready for an adventure yet but it's good to know I have one waiting for me when I'm ready!

pete y testing: The funny thing about your comment is that the only reason I decided to pick up the Best Buy offer was because it was at a nice 'open box' price so someone had probably taken it home and tried it and it didn't work for them. I agree the base price of $300 was a bit daunting. But I also wasn't really interested in trying out a separate powerline adapter to try to solve my dead spot issue. So the notion of having an integrated adapter was enough for me to try it out.

My kitchen is on a separate sub-panel so I had to find a plug just outside of the kitchen zone but closer (and with less obstuctions) than the location of the main router. It works well and I'm pretty happy!

I haven't really spent alot of time testing and tinkering with either element (Router or DST). I did have some trouble with a USB Hard Drive that had worked fine with the Asus but kept disconnecting from the Netgear - a WD green drive in a generic enclosure - obviously not the best drive. I replaced it with a Seagate that doesn't cause the same issue. The speed of transfers to & from the USB is a great improvement over the Asus.

Overall, it is just the upgrade I was hoping for.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!