What's new

Netgear R7800 or a tri-band router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

schlott

New Around Here
Hey,

I want to replace my current router and I am a little overwhelmed by all the different available models. After reading many review, I decided to either go for a tri-band router, probably the TP-Link Archer C3200, or the Netgear R7800.

I dont have many connected devices, usually around 15, sometimes 20-25. Most of the use the 5ghz band, some still 2,4ghz.
Sometimes a few devices require higher bandwidth all at once (a big download + netflix streaming + some more streaming + streaming of a satellite signal from an enigma2 to an Ipad + reading from the NAS + ...). A router with two 5ghz bands seemed to be the right choice, especially because the C3200 is even cheaper than a R7800. But the R7800 seems to be the fastest 5ghz router, and I was wondering if that would not compensate the second 5ghz band? Would a tri-band router be too much for my needs?

Any advice?

Last edited:
Hey,

I want to replace my current router and I am a little overwhelmed by all the different available models. After reading many review, I decided to either go for a tri-band router, probably the TP-Link Archer C2600, or the Netgear R7800.

I dont have many connected devices, usually around 15, sometimes 20-25. Most of the use the 5ghz band, some still 2,4ghz.
Sometimes a few devices require higher bandwidth all at once (a big download + netflix streaming + some more streaming + streaming of a satellite signal from an enigma2 to an Ipad + reading from the NAS + ...). A router with two 5ghz bands seemed to be the right choice, especially because the C2600 is even cheaper than a R7800. But the R7800 seems to be the fastest 5ghz router, and I was wondering if that would not compensate the second 5ghz band? Would a tri-band router be too much for my needs?

Any advice?

I may be biased because I own R7800. When choice is between C2600 or R7800 I'd go for R7800. When I purchase anything cost is not priority one, just getting the good value for the money is. BTW, you did not mention what you have now.

I don't think triband will really help you and definitely does not increase range. the Acher C2600 is not a Triband device by the way.

Oh sorry, I meant the C3200. I will edit my first post.

Range is not an issue right now and I think both routers offer enough range for my needs. I just want to make sure the router can handle all the simultaneous streams and downloads without any hickups.

Oh sorry, I meant the C3200. I will edit my first post.

Range is not an issue right now and I think both routers offer enough range for my needs. I just want to make sure the router can handle all the simultaneous streams and downloads without any hickups.

Again, what is your current router?

Yeah the R7800 can easily handle the load and so can the other one.

Again, what is your current router?

I used to have an Asus AC68U but it broke. Now I am using an older Linksys router until I decided which new one to buy. I was not very happy with the Asus and always had issues with the Wifi though. The speed was good, but it did not work reliable (disconnects, suddenly disappearing wifi networks, ...) and I never knew if a new firmware would improve the situation or make it worse. So I will try another brand this time.

What do you estimate your total peak simultaneous bandwith requirement is?

Available bandwith is limited by your slowest device. So if you have a mix of dual-band N and AC devices a second 5 GHz radio can help.

But you will probably need to set different SSIDs for the two radios and manually assign devices. Tried bands are not particularly good at spreading load between the two 5 GHz radios.

I used to have an Asus AC68U but it broke. Now I am using an older Linksys router until I decided which new one to buy. I was not very happy with the Asus and always had issues with the Wifi though. The speed was good, but it did not work reliable (disconnects, suddenly disappearing wifi networks, ...) and I never knew if a new firmware would improve the situation or make it worse. So I will try another brand this time.

First thing you have to check and make sure is whether your environment is causing the interference on wireless. Noise or crowded band.
Good luck finding your next router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!