What's new

Netgear X4S R7800 - Did I hit a CPU Bottleneck?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mark M

Occasional Visitor
See attached picture. This more of an "out of curiosity" question.

Do you guys think I'm hitting a Router CPU bottleneck with the Dual Core 1.7 GHz chip in my R7800 in this scenario?

I periodically check the CPU usage out of the blue for craps and giggles since I got my Gig fiber connection. During a Speedtest my CPU can be as low as 2%, maxing out the Gig line no problem. I assume this is because It's using one connection.

However, using certain game launchers to update/install games (such as uPlay), I've seen it spike to over 90%, and never seen it go past 60 mb/s (roughly 500 MBPS). I'm guessing this is because it's creating multiple/many connections to speed up the download.

I wonder if a Quad-Core router such as the R9000/XR500 would make a difference. At this point I'll probably just wait for an AX router regardless.

Attachments

• cpu load.jpg
    cpu load.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 870
Do other games show similar usage to compare with. Maybe some games are more taxing on routers then others.

Do other games show similar usage to compare with. Maybe some games are more taxing on routers then others.

So far, not the "games" themselves, rather the launchers (such as Steam, Ubisoft's uPlay, Rockstar Social club) as examples. These launchers are what download the games.

I suppose are more taxing on routers than others. Guess my next router will be a quad core at minimum. In theory if I'm able to hit 500 MBPS with this dual core 1.7, a quad core should be able to do gig with no issue.

R7800 is IPQ8065 based, which uses NSS to accelerate network package, I'm not sure how they perform between data pack sizes and type. Speedtest.net uses big data pack which can be accelerate easily for most routers and can be offload easily, but some other applications might have smaller data pack which might not supported by the accelerator/offload, as a result it uses raw CPU power to process it.

XR500 and R7800 is using the same dual-core IPQ8065 CPU, it's unlikely to make any differences in this case

Do the launchers use something like bittorrent for downloads? That probably could cause some cpu utilization, although I woulda thought it would be mainly on the computer's side not the router...

Do you have QOS enabled? also for some reason WAN to LAN throughput for TCP traffic over port 80, is slower than the performance of any other port, even with QOS and other features disabled. I have not seen this issue with other routers though.

Do the launchers use something like bittorrent for downloads? That probably could cause some cpu utilization, although I woulda thought it would be mainly on the computer's side not the router...
You may be on to something... Lots of smaller connections

Do you have QOS enabled? also for some reason WAN to LAN throughput for TCP traffic over port 80, is slower than the performance of any other port, even with QOS and other features disabled. I have not seen this issue with other routers though.

I do not. I figured it's just about useless considering I have Gig Fiber

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!